X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PLEASE READ: Let's Post Things in the Correct Places

Widgets Magazine
    Hi folks,

We've been seeing an increasing trend of discussion and posts being put here in the Cover Art forum that have very little to do with the cover art, and more to do with things like show content, technical aspects, and so forth.

Additionally, there has been an increase in instances of people basically just cross-posting between Cover Art and other subforums, primarily US Blu-ray, DVD and Simulcast Industry News, which is wholly unnecessary.

What this is leading to is a lot of split discussion, which in turn leads to people posting the same thing multiple times in an effort to feel like their posts are being seen by everyone, as well as tangents that are entirely off-topic for this particular subforum.

So, going forward, please be more conscious of what you're posting here in Cover Art. If it's not cover art-related, put it elsewhere. If you're not sure, then it probably does belong elsewhere. If you have something you feel the need to cross-post between Cover Art and elsewhere, then that means it either entirely belongs elsewhere, or should be split into two different posts that talk about the cover art and whatever other thoughts you have in the appropriate subforum.
    asa --> S^2 --> Hayate
    Avatar: Lind, Valkyrie, Goddess First-Class Special Duty Unlimited, from "Aa, Megami-sama: Hunters & Hunters"
    Moderator: US, JP, GA, RC, GD, CA, S/T, OT, MB

Re: PLEASE READ: Let's Post Things in the Correct Places

Where does discussion of packaging need to go? Can we discuss quality of the cases and so forth here or the other forum?

Comment

Originally posted by jfs_87 View Post
      Where does discussion of packaging need to go? Can we discuss quality of the cases and so forth here or the other forum?
      Discussion of the actual quality or construction of things like keepcases, artboxes, slipcovers, etc., should go in the thread for a given release in the US forum.

I want to take this chance to post a quick clarification.

Some of you have probably noticed bits and pieces of threads getting moved around, or modified. This is being done just to put things in the correct places, as we're transitioning into this (or rather, back to what this subforum is supposed to be).

But, at the same time, there are a few discussion tangents that still exist in here which have seemingly been left alone, which some of you have probably noticed. We're trying to do this gently, so rather than just cutting everything off or moving everything around, there are some conversations we're just trying to let play out, which eventually will wrap themselves up when nobody has anything left to post.

If you have any other questions, then please post them here, or PM me as folks have done already. This isn't meant to create problems, just solve a few small ones, and that's something we should be able to work together to achieve.
      asa --> S^2 --> Hayate
      Avatar: Lind, Valkyrie, Goddess First-Class Special Duty Unlimited, from "Aa, Megami-sama: Hunters & Hunters"

Comment

I have been guilty of this in the past. Even before your post I realized that I was not really posting in the correct threads, but this warning will be the impetus to make doubly sure I don't do it again. Coverart is only for discussion of the artwork/labelling/wording on the release packaging, everything else in the "release discussion" thread.

Again, sorry.

[edit] If I may ask for clarification on one thing... say there's word of a new license, and I want an opinion on whether or not I should check out the series, based on my viewing history... and I want details regarding content of the series, that would most assuredly go in the Recommendations board, right?
        Last edited by DiRF; 08-18-2014, 04:29 AM.
        Online profiles: ANN DVDAf eBay

Comment

Originally posted by DiRF View Post
          If I may ask for clarification on one thing... say there's word of a new license, and I want an opinion on whether or not I should check out the series, based on my viewing history... and I want details regarding content of the series, that would most assuredly go in the Recommendations board, right?
          Yes. Starting a thread in Recommendations is the best place if you want to tie it to your personal viewing history and get more in-depth opinions. If you only want more general opinions, it's perfectly fine to ask in the initial license announcement thread in the US forum.
          Avatar: Craft Lawrence from Spice and Wolf.
          Scratchy for Tama is angry.
          Casually Reviewing: ???

Comment

One additional, very specific note.

Posts that exist simply so someone can say "yes, I'm buying this" or "no, I'm not buying this" have become a common thing in threads here in Cover Art. These are not the sorts of posts which belong in Cover Art, which should go without saying based on what's already outlined in the root post, because they obviously have nothing to do with cover art, but I'm saying it anyway.

Additionally, as a general comment, such posts have never been among the more worthwhile things that someone could post anyway, because such posts contribute nothing to a given discussion or thread. We have weekly release polls, as well as "what did you buy this month" threads, which allow for people to briefly address the purchases they've made. If you really want to talk about your intent to buy or not buy something way in advance, though, then please post in the applicable series thread in the US forum, not here in Cover Art, and please consider taking the time to add a sentence or two explaining why.

We've always appreciated actual contributions and discussion here, and while we don't outright prohibit the sort of isolated, drive-by, me-too-esque posts that you find in many forums and comments sections online, we do frown upon them and recommend that users put in a little bit of extra effort when posting.
            asa --> S^2 --> Hayate

Comment

So I guess it's safe to assume that even in the threads of LE releases the talk of art boxes and release configuration, aside from the actual artwork on the cover and box itself or bonus materials included, then should be kept to the release thread rather than the cover art forum. It's not a big deal I suppose, but often there is an image of packaging included when provided with 3D versions of cover art. Would it not be right to discuss such matters in this forum?
              Avatar: Chihaya Ayase from Chihayafuru
              Maintainer of the Locked Subtitle Tracking Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Mc-Taz View Post
                So I guess it's safe to assume that even in the threads of LE releases the talk of art boxes and release configuration, aside from the actual artwork on the cover and box itself or bonus materials included, then should be kept to the release thread rather than the cover art forum. It's not a big deal I suppose, but often there is an image of packaging included when provided with 3D versions of cover art. Would it not be right to discuss such matters in this forum?
                Should it be?

Based on the way this realignment is intended, it would not be, of course. If, for example, yet another FUNimation release comes up where the 3D image raises the question for discussion of whether or not a particular release might be getting an artbox, that discussion should take place in the applicable series thread in the US forum. Whoever wants to be the first to raise the question can just start with something like "it looks like this release might be coming with an artbox" plus a link to the Cover Art thread with the image.

I don't see a problem with having that bit of separation, because it's a simple extra step for one person to include a link, and a simple extra step for anyone reading it to click that link. It happens exactly that way in plenty of other situations, such as when we're talking about PQ and referencing screencaps, or talking about information on another website. The only difference here is that you'd be linking to something onsite rather than offsite. But maybe there's an objection to having to do that in this one specific instance?
                asa --> S^2 --> Hayate

Comment

Frankly, we're probably just a few more "can't read and follow the notice that says 'Please Read'" posts away from turning Cover Art into a locked and read-only gallery, if that's what it takes to get people to post in the right places and not split discussion or double-post things.
                  I do suggest WTK or the original poster to include a link to the thread from the US forum. It's true, people are lazy and don't want to search. Here, they see a topic about a release they are interested in and ask questions. In other cases, cover art reveals information that contradicts what the company of the release had initially implied. There's just so much of a fine line on what to post in this forum. Do I bring up the contradiction here or on the US page? It's about the art and it isn't. It makes me wonder why there is even a board specifically designed for cover art. Why not keep everything about a release in one place?

Comment

Originally posted by jfs_87 View Post
                    Frankly, we're probably just a few more "can't read and follow the notice that says 'Please Read'" posts away from turning Cover Art into a locked and read-only gallery, if that's what it takes to get people to post in the right places and not split discussion or double-post things.
                    I do suggest WTK or the original poster to include a link to the thread from the US forum. It's true, people are lazy and don't want to search. Here, they see a topic about a release they are interested in and ask questions. In other cases, cover art reveals information that contradicts what the company of the release had initially implied. There's just so much of a fine line on what to post in this forum. Do I bring up the contradiction here or on the US page? It's about the art and it isn't. It makes me wonder why there is even a board specifically designed for cover art. Why not keep everything about a release in one place?
                    Honestly, it's not even really the fine-line stuff that prompted this notice and my recent post that you quoted. It's the situations where very clearly something has nothing whatsoever to do with cover art, but people post it in here anyway. For example, this post was one that was just posted in here not too long ago before I moved it to where it is now in the U.S. forum. It's not at all Cover art-related, and the Cover Art thread it was posted in was not an active one right on page 1 that seemed convenient to post in as seems to be the case most of the time, and thus I assume it had to be searched for, just as I had to search the U.S. forum for the applicable thread to move it to. So why not do that right off the bat?

Anyway, you're not the first person who's asked why we're basically inviting people to split up discussion and post things that are technically off topic. What has been discussed, and really does make more sense in a lot of ways, is exactly as I posted and you quoted: making Cover Art a gallery subforum for reference only, and having people use links in the applicable series threads in the U.S. forum for actual discussion (which, incidentally, is exactly how things are done right now in the JP forum), with perhaps only actual embedded images being put in the root posts as they appear. Not unlike how things are handled in forums such as those as Blu-ray.com.
                    asa --> S^2 --> Hayate

Comment

The cover art forum is one of the best forums on the site, and one of the things that make this community different from other anime forums, so I hope it does not change to a boring gallery.

Occasionally I will make a reference to buying something, but I try to always comment on the art and design, both of which are interesting aspects to me. Over all, I am still not offended by people saying that they buy anime, as it is better than some places where they think buying is an outdated concept.
                      Last edited by smashwagon; 11-23-2014, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Like smashwagon said I would hate for the cover art forum just to become a gallery forum. Beside from being different then many other site, I like that we have a dedicated section so fans can voice their opinions on the cover arts of releases.

I agree that the cover art forum should focus of the cover art. Anything about recommendations, flaws, inconsistency, and technical aspects should be posted in the correct sub forum. I will disagree with the idea that discussion of the packaging should not be allowed. I would say that the packaging can very much effect how an artwork look which can be very important when discussing the cover. I would suggest having leeway in this; if mentioning the packaging further the discussion then keep it. If it is simply someone ranting about about the packaging but not furthering the discussion then it should not be allowed.
                        Avatar: Haruka from Sakura Trick

Comment

Packaging is totally a discussion that should reside in this forum, packaging coincides with the aesthetics of a release which is what the cover art is. This a forum for discussion and opinion not a gallery
                          Anime MAL/AP -- Collection AnimeDVD/AnimeBluRay

Comment

Originally posted by blaizevincent View Post
                            Packaging is totally a discussion that should reside in this forum, packaging coincides with the aesthetics of a release which is what the cover art is. This a forum for discussion and opinion not a gallery
                            Agree with you 100%. So long as the discussion doesn't go too off tangent from the art and overall packaging of a release. Not too hot about making this thread a read only gallery for cover art.
                            My Anime List
                            Anime DVD/BD Collection

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                            Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                            Widgets Magazine
                            Working...
                            X