Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anime Recs Needed

Widgets Magazine
    I'm getting ready to purchase a number of titles per the blu-ray essentials line from Funimation via Rightstuf. I am hoping a number of these will be on sale during their holiday sale. I know not all of them will be though and I need to trim this list down. I also like a wide variety of genres/shows.

These first five are ones I defintely have the most interest in and I am probably going to purchase but would still like feedback on;

1. Katana Maiden: Toji no Miko
    2. Harukana Recieve
    3. New Game S.1-2
    4. Restaurant to Another World
    5. My Roommate is a Cat

The rest;
    1. My First Girlfriend is a Gal
    2. Meiji Tokyo Renka
    3. Rosario + Vampire
    4. Trickster
    5. Dance with Devils
    6. Eureka Seven AO - I love Eureka Seven
    7. Fuuka
    8. Kamisama Kiss S1-2
    9. Tsukigakirei
    10. Juni Taisen: Zodiac War
    11. Prince of Stride
    12. Love Live! Sunshine
    13. The Silver Guardian
    14. Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt
    15. Chaos;Child - I own Chaos;Head but have never watched it.
    16. Akashic Records of Bastard Magic

Thank you to all in advance!
    Last edited by kamiikazeheart; 12-03-2021, 12:20 PM.
    Anime Stats
    DVD Collection
    Anime Blog

I heartily recommend you get My Roommate is a Cat if you love cats and warm fuzzies. That's not to say it doesn't have sad moments, but overall, it's a very wholesome Anime and it's a no-brainer if you love cats. The first half tells the story from the human's POV and the second half tells you the story from the cat's POV so it's quite interesting to see why the cat acts the way she does at certain points. There's other animals in the Anime too, but it's mainly about the cat. When the Anime is told from the cat's POV, the animals talk amongst themselves, but you can't hear the animals' voices when it's told from the human's POV. Oh, a disclaimer that the human suffers from depression, so if that may be a touchy subject for you, keep that in mind.

Anyway, strong recommendation for My Roommate is a Cat.

Comment

Originally posted by Art-chan View Post
      I heartily recommend you get My Roommate is a Cat if you love cats and warm fuzzies. That's not to say it doesn't have sad moments, but overall, it's a very wholesome Anime and it's a no-brainer if you love cats. The first half tells the story from the human's POV and the second half tells you the story from the cat's POV so it's quite interesting to see why the cat acts the way she does at certain points. There's other animals in the Anime too, but it's mainly about the cat. When the Anime is told from the cat's POV, the animals talk amongst themselves, but you can't hear the animals' voices when it's told from the human's POV. Oh, a disclaimer that the human suffers from depression, so if that may be a touchy subject for you, keep that in mind.

I had no idea this show even existed until the essentials release was announced and it sounds like its definitely right up my alley. I am a cat lover/owner. Thank you for the recommendation!
      Last edited by kamiikazeheart; 12-02-2021, 05:42 PM.
      Anime Stats
      DVD Collection
      Anime Blog

Comment

Katana Maiden: Toji no Miko is a fun show. you need to get used to the use of CG but the characters are decent and it is not a bad show. Personally I think the show ran out of steam at the end of the first half but the show is worth it for the relationships between the girls.

Rosario + Vampire is a typical harem romance with monster girls. The main lead is weak and useless, which is normal for this type of show. If you have seen harem romances there is nothing new here. It looks a bit cheap but it isn't awful.

Eureka Seven AO is not Eureka Seven. AO looks great and has amazing character designs. Adult Eureka is super hot (The only reason I bought the show.) but gets too little screen time. The show does a lot of damage to Eureka Seven lore and characters. So you are going to be a bit miffed if you care a lot about that. The battles don't have a lot of meaning and the main antagonist Truth and Ao's girlfriend Naru are unbelievably irritating and annoying and in the end make no sense. It is pretty obvious that the writers didn't like a lot of what happened in Eureka Seven and decided to deliberately crap on it. However, on it's own the show is not bad. It looks really pretty while making less sense the longer it goes on so if you simply focus on whatever the show is doing in the episode you are watching and don't try to link it to the previous or subsequent episodes it can be quite enjoyable. So to get the best out of it treat it as an episodic series with an occasional 2-parter that was inspired by Eureka Seven because if you try to judge it as an Eureka Seven sequel or even as a coherent serial story it will fail heavily. However there are individual episodes that work quite well. Oh and adult Eureka is hot.(did I mention that already?)

Juni Taisen: Zodiac War is a fun battle royale with super powered protagonists that unfortunately spoils who dies with each episode title. The show is a lot more about the characters than the battles and thus more of a drama than an action show. Despite knowing who is going to die, how they die can be quite a surprise.

Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt is crass,crude, vulgar, juvenile, irreverent humor. If that is your thing then this absolutely needs to be in your collection. It is not for the easily offended.

Chaos;Child is a confusing mess of a show. It eventually sorts itself out and develops something resembling a coherent narrative but I don't think the slog is worth it.

Akashic Records of Bastard Magic is a lot of fun. I am very fond of asshole protagonists and the show does some interesting things with spell lore. It has fun, though not very well developed, characters. The show works best when it is going for humor not so much with heavy drama. The last arc is a lot too rushed for my taste and it would have been nice if the villains weren't simply cartoon bad guys who are evil because they love being evil. However I really enjoyed it.

Comment

The only two titles I can provide my own reactions for are Harukana Receive and Love Live Sunshine. I suppose elements linking them are how camera-shy male characters are in them and how ready a great many viewers seem to be to pair off their female characters (while admitting I didn't really watch either of them to dwell on that myself)... Otherwise, the beach volleyball in Harukana Receive means swimsuits and lots of relatively wholesome "fanservice"; the sports action and court-forged partnerships just might have sat on that foundation for me, although it all worked out agreeably enough. One thing I might have to mention is it leaves off with a match to be anticipated; I turned to the manga to see the story continue but do wonder if its art is quite as attractive as the anime's. Love Live Sunshine might be carried along by the interest I've developed in the whole Love Live franchise, and I do wonder what someone might make of its callbacks to the original anime without having seen that series first. However, I did think it a decent mixture of comedy, drama, and musical performances.

Comment

New Game S.1-2
            Is similar to Shirobako. Where Shirobako deals with the anime industry, New Game deals with the gaming industry. It is slice of life and the characters and their interaction with one another are very enjoyable. I highly recommend it.

Restaurant to Another World
            Also slice of life with a mixture of fantasy, it is about a restaurant that travels from dimension to dimension and catering various foods to it's clientele. I also enjoyed the characters of this series and their interaction as their seek to convince each other as to why their particular favorite food is the best. Glad for a second season and hoping Funimation picks it up as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Art-chan View Post

Completely agree. This show is amazing and it becomes quite obvious quite quickly the people who made it understand cat behavior. There is of course some anthropomorisation going on in the show but it is all quite believable extensions from cat behavior. Not sure if I would say the main character suffers from depression - he is sad at some points and certainly a loner which can be classic signs but not always. He certainly isn't treated in anyway. Show is about him becoming more interested in the outside world because of the cat which is very sweet.

Can't say anything about the others except to say I have started chaos head (see my above post) and loving it. Have you seen Stein's Gate?

There is no coincidence only inevitability

Comment

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who commented and left feedback. I dropped quite a few of these shows from my shopping cart based on your feedback and further review on my end.

From my original list I ended up purchasing - Meiji Tokyo Renka, The Silver Guardian, Tsukigakirei, Akashic, Restaruant to Another World, My Roommate is a Cat, Harukana Receive, New Game S1-2, Kamisama Kiss S1-2, Katana Maidens and Juni Taisen.

I also ended up getting - D.Gray Man S3-4, Ms.Vampire Who Lives in your Neighborhood, The Ancient Magus' Bride, Ben-To, The Royal Tutor and Kemono Michi

From Amazon I got - Goblin Slayer and Asteroid in Love.

Happy Holidays to all!
                Anime Stats
                DVD Collection
                Anime Blog

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                Widgets Magazine
                Working...