Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wolf's Rain - as good as the music

Widgets Magazine
    So I have never watched Wolf's Rain but man the music is something else. Not surprising I guess as it is written by Yoko Kanno (I really wish she would come to the states so I could get her to sign something) I need to buy her CDs ... any great ones as well. Is Wolf's rain the show worth watching?
    There is no coincidence only inevitability

I'm an outlier on this, but I didn't really care for it. The music is good and the show looks good. At times it even has a similar mood and atmosphere to Cowboy Bebop (they share the same writer). But I didn't particularly like the characters or story and I found it hard to stay interested. Also the story was confusing and there are long stretches of episodes where not much happens. I remember at one point I accidentally put in the wrong disc and didn't even notice that I had skipped several episodes (that might have something to do with the fact that this show infamously has 4 recap episodes back to back). I also remember another time where I was trying to get one of the discs out of the packaging and it broke clean in half! And I was shocked not because that had happened, but that I wasn't disappointed or sad in the slightest that it had happened. That's how much I wasn't enjoying this show (I did eventually go finish it though...).

Like I said, I'm unusual and it seems a lot of people adore this show. So don't take my word for it. I'm sure there are plenty of podcasts out there with reviews of this show. Maybe see what one of those has to say.

Comment

Originally posted by russ869 View Post
      I'm an outlier on this, but I didn't really care for it. The music is good and the show looks good. At times it even has a similar mood and atmosphere to Cowboy Bebop (they share the same writer). But I didn't particularly like the characters or story and I found it hard to stay interested. Also the story was confusing and there are long stretches of episodes where not much happens. I remember at one point I accidentally put in the wrong disc and didn't even notice that I had skipped several episodes (that might have something to do with the fact that this show infamously has 4 recap episodes back to back).. . .
      I actually agree with Russ869. Wolf's Rain has an awesome setting: a post-apocalyptic goth-punk world ruled over by vampire/technomage/mad scientists, where everyone believes in werewolves . . .but also believes they're extinct. Sort of Vampire Hunter D by way of White Wolf's "World of Darkness" RPGs.

But its very hard to follow the team of werewolf protagonists, as they search for "Paradise". The show assembles them very quickly, and then they spend much of the series following clues that don't translate well into a tv show (such as scent). As a result, its very hard to tell if they're making progress or not, what episodes are filler or not . . . Just when you start liking one character in the pack, another suddenly takes the focus . . .

Now, if you're into Werewolf: the Apocalypse or similar rpgs, there's a ton of cool ideas to rip off for your own game. I just don't think Wolf's Rain worked as an anime series. (Loved the quotes from the Book of Red Moon)
      "The roaring of lions, the howling of wolves, the raging of the stormy sea, and the destructive sword, are portions of eternity too great for the eye of man."

-William Blake, "The Marriage of Heaven and Hell"

Comment

Widgets Magazine
      Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
      Widgets Magazine
      Working...
      X