X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Out of Circulation - Catch Me Up

Widgets Magazine
    Hey,

I've been out of the anime scene for a couple years now (excluding Toonami). Can anyone catch me up? What are the big names that I need to be on the lookout for?
    "The roaring of lions, the howling of wolves, the raging of the stormy sea, and the destructive sword, are portions of eternity too great for the eye of man."

-William Blake, "The Marriage of Heaven and Hell"

That I've watched:

Re: Zero- Totally flips the Isekai genre on its head.

Demon Slayer - Demon Hunting in the Taisho era. Outstanding. There's a reason its follow-up movie shattered records in Japan.

For comedy: Konosuba - just great laughs in this show that also flips the isekai genre on its ear.

Rom-Com: Kaguya-sama: Love is War. Lots of laughs and sweetness.

Unique Harem: The Quintessential Quintuplets. Sesaon 1 is a gem. Season 2 is rushed and not as good but better animated. The draw: A student gets a job tutoring his classmates, identical Quintuplets, one of whom he marries in the future. What makes this show unique is that the MC is not the MC; the actual MC is the Harem itself, as these girls are as close and love each and aggravate and annoy each other, as only a set of Quintuplets could.

Shonen power: My Hero Academia. Just a great show of a young man without superpowers growing up in a world where 80% of people have abilities, and then he gets a chance to have one of the greatest powers of all.

Fire Force: hundreds of years after a catastrophe wiped out most life on Earth, the biggest fear is spontaneous human combustion, with the members of the Fire Force using their powers to combat this issue and try to solve its mystery.

Isekai specials:

That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime. Self-describing.

Rise of the Shield Hero. He starts at rock bottom and proceeds from there.

Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation. The grandaddy of Truck-kun isekai shows is gorgeous, a bit pervy, shot and told with a feeling of realism. Season 1 just ended. Very good, IMHO.

Just out there: The Saga of Tanya the Evil. Aoi Yuki just goes to town as the title character, a former salaryman who gets involved with a god-like being he dubs Being X, and is reincarnated as a girl in an alternate WWI era Germany where magic exists.

There's so much more, of course. Winter 2021 was loaded due to so much backlog due to COVID, while Summer and Fall 2020 were relative droughts, for the same resaon. But there's been some really good anime out the last few years.
    My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
    1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
    2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
    3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
    Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
    Widgets Magazine
    Working...
    X