Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SD on BD

Widgets Magazine
    I’ve been interested in possibly upgrading my dvd copy of Kino’s Journey to Sentai’s SD on BD releases. Does anyone have an idea if there’s a difference in quality or should I just stick with the dvd set?
    DVDaf :Collection

The SD on BD release of Kino's Journey suffers, as do multiple SD on BD releases from the Sentai stable, from blended frames due to their poor upscaling production practices.

https://fandompost.vbulletin.net/for...dv-films/page2
    https://imgur.com/a/vxmkYbu

So depending on your attentiveness to, and tolerance for, such video issues, you may want to just stick with your DVDs.
    asa --> S^2 --> Hayate
    Avatar: Lind, Valkyrie, Goddess First-Class Special Duty Unlimited, from "Aa, Megami-sama: Hunters & Hunters"
    Moderator: US, JP, GA, RC, GD, CA, S/T, OT, MB

Comment

Originally posted by Hayate Kurogane View Post
      The SD on BD release of Kino's Journey suffers, as do multiple SD on BD releases from the Sentai stable, from blended frames due to their poor upscaling production practices.

https://fandompost.vbulletin.net/for...dv-films/page2
      https://imgur.com/a/vxmkYbu

So depending on your attentiveness to, and tolerance for, such video issues, you may want to just stick with your DVDs.
      That’s disappointing. I appreciate the heads up.

Comment

In general SD BD may be a worthwhile upgrade if the DVD suffers from noticeable compression artifacts. Since SD BD is the same resolution but potentially a higher bitrate (depending on how many episodes they cram on one disc). But yeah, early Sentai SD BDs have an annoying frame blending problem, so stick with the DVDs unless you have no other option.

Supposedly they've fixed this on newer Sentai SD BDs. Does anybody know an example of a Sentai release that doesn't have frame blending issues? I'm just wondering if we can pinpoint the time when they fixed their process.

Comment

Originally posted by russ869 View Post
          Supposedly they've fixed this on newer Sentai SD BDs. Does anybody know an example of a Sentai release that doesn't have frame blending issues? I'm just wondering if we can pinpoint the time when they fixed their process.
          Those Who Hunt Elves doesn't have the frame blending issue.

Comment

Originally posted by russ869 View Post
            In general SD BD may be a worthwhile upgrade if the DVD suffers from noticeable compression artifacts. Since SD BD is the same resolution but potentially a higher bitrate (depending on how many episodes they cram on one disc). But yeah, early Sentai SD BDs have an annoying frame blending problem, so stick with the DVDs unless you have no other option.
            How do Discotek's SD BDs fare?

Comment

Originally posted by bearcounty View Post

Fine!

Their early SDBDs (Samurai Pizza Cats, the dub-only Wizard of Oz release & Fist of the North Star) had stuttering issues that affected those with a PS3 & PS4 but since Justin Sevakis upgraded his authoring equipment, the other releases have been good. I own Great Mazinger, Juspion, Marmalade Boy, Sonic X & Star Fleet/X-Bomber on SD Blu and they were fine on my PS3.

As for Sentai, another strike against them is that their SDBDs are encoded at MPEG2 instead of AVC like usual. I have yet to buy one of their discs (was considering Sakura Wars but changed my mind after seeing what they did there (thread)) but I know MPEG2 was something people took issue with when Media Blasters' recent [pressed] BDs came out so someone with those discs may help a bit better than I can.

Speaking of Media Blasters, their Blu-ray release of Strawberry Panic is also SD but for whatever reason, they used two BD25s, the video is hardsubbed and without proper chapter stops except at the beginning of each episode.

Nozomi also moved to SD Blu-ray recently with the AD Police TV series but you'll have to ask someone who owns that one to find out how it turned out.
              Last edited by NJ_; 03-16-2020, 05:59 PM.
              Avatar: From Sailor Moon S Episode 118 "The Battle in a Demonic Dimension! The Sailor Soldier's Bet"

Comment

Originally posted by bearcounty View Post

Frankly I consider Discotek's SD BD releases to be industry standard. They look and sound great on my system and have been a space saving dream come true.

Comment

Originally posted by NJ_ View Post
                  Nozomi also moved to SD Blu-ray recently with the AD Police TV series but you'll have to ask someone who owns that one to find out how it turned out.
                  I only have watched the first three eps but no noticeable video issues and the audio is fantastic! Expected no less from Nozomi, but am happy to report!

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                  Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                  Widgets Magazine
                  Working...
                  X