Widgets Magazine

How do fellow collectors here sort their Anime/Manga collections?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do fellow collectors here sort their Anime/Manga collections?

Widgets Magazine
    Hey,

So I've been thinking about reorganizing my collection. For the past 4-5 years I've sorted my collection by Genre and then alphabetized within that genre. It's been pretty good for along time and I still like it now BUT the one major thing that has always frustrated me about this way of sorting has been that some shows just aren't easy to put into a single genre.

For example K-On has been a thorn in my side in this case for ages. Originally I put this series in my Shoujo/Romance section, basically a section where I throw anything that has a hint of shoujo in it. I don't have a music section as not enough shows fall into that category to warrant one and I don't have a Moe section as I don't buy enough shows of that type. Well eventually it ended up in my Comedy section. It kinda fits there but it does kinda stick out.

A similar case I've had is Silver Spoon. I don't have a drama section or a slice of life section because so many of those shows are hard to define as simply just drama or just slice of life. They always have something else about them that normally means I put them in my Shoujo section for some reason. Silver Spoon was there once but I eventually moved it into Comedy. I'm worse than the Golden Globes lol.

For the curious the genres I have for sorting are

Shonen
    Samurai/Ninja
    Sports/Racing
    Superpower/Superhero
    Seinen Action/Drama (Gun Shows etc)
    NIS Premium Editions
    Random OVAs
    Random Artboxes
    Fantasy
    Studio Ghibli
    Clamp
    Leijiverse
    Go Nagai
    Supernatural/Horror
    Cel Animated Mecha/Giant Robot
    Digital Animated Mecha/Giant Robot
    Sci-Fi
    Aviation
    Shoujo/Romance
    Comedy
    Otaku Culture

I guess I could add more to ease the burden of sorting abit. Or I could get yet more shelves.

Anyway the long and the short of it is I'm curious how those of us with sizable collections, ranging from a few hundred to over a thousand DVD/BD sets cope with sorting such a collection? How do you do it?
    Anime MAL/AP -- Collection AnimeDVD/AnimeBluRay

I sort my collection into piles. The one I most recently watched goes to the bottom of the last pile, and slowly works its way up to the top pf the first pile.

It's complicated by release format and packaging, Blu-ray and DVD, collector's boxes, discs in CD cases, in space savers, in paper sleeves, and it's all spread across bookcases and to be honest, a bit of floor space as well. But, with the aid of a spreadsheet, I get to watch everything on rotation, a handful of episodes a night. Currently have about six years of anime at that pace.

Comment

My collection consists of about 1000 DVD's and 400 blurays. I put the stuff that was replaced by newer versions or double dipping in boxes. I have a display case where I store all the Limited/Collectors/Premium edition boxes and I store the actual DVD's and blurays in DVD towers next to my viewing area. The DVD towers are divided into four sections: DVD's, Blu-rays, Live action and I have a DVD tower dedicated to what I regularly watch and what I am currently watching. The only sorting I do in my DVD towers is to keep all the franchise stuff together. Given my taste in anime where several of my favorite shows fit multiple genres I find doing any other sorting to be pointless, plus I am lazy.

Comment

In terms of *just* anime Blu-ray and DVD items, which hit 4 digits long ago, I have them all stored/displayed across multiple bookcases and three of those large adjustable wire racks that you see everywhere.

I separate by country (U.S. releases, Japan releases, etc.). Then within each of those sections, I separate by type (Blu-ray, DVD). Then for U.S. stuff due to sheer quantity and space, anything with a sizable artbox or other special/oversized packaging goes in its own area, while singles/slipcase stuff goes in another area.

Within all of those sections, I alphabetize. Which gets weird for the JP stuff since I still alphabetize all of it the way you would in English, not in Japanese, and then have to make judgment calls about stuff that starts to incorporate odd romanization choices, wildly different "official" English titles that actually appear on the packaging, and so on.

The U.S. artboxes and Blu-ray section are more prominent and accessible, as is the JP Blu-ray section. A shelf on those wire racks is exactly the correct depth so that you can have three rows of Blu-rays/DVDs with a tiny bit of breathing room between each row, so it allows for a lot of pack density. I put all the DVDs in the back two rows back since I know I won't need to get at them nearly as often, but it's more convenient than putting them in boxes in storage.

Stuff I am actively watching sits in a row on a large endtable in my living room.

Stuff I have purchased but not opened yet all goes in a completely different bookcase, as well as on and under a table, in various boxes near that table, and so on.
        asa --> S^2 --> Hayate
        Avatar: Lind, Valkyrie, Goddess First-Class Special Duty Unlimited, from "Aa, Megami-sama: Hunters & Hunters"
        Moderator: US, JP, GA, RC, GD, CA, S/T, OT, MB

Comment

As for the order, everything is alphabetical within the categories that can't be mixed, as in these blog posts. The exceptions arise with particularly tall releases that can't fit on my standard shelves, which have to be moved over to one that can fit them, where they're then alphabetized.

The walls of this room is lined with bookcases, mostly made to most efficiently house as many anime or manga releases that are within a normal height range, with some of them including custom compartments to house items so tall that they wouldn't fit even on the tall shelves, which come at the end.

Some releases made to stand up are doing that atop the shortest bookcase, though I just commissioned my coworker who likes woodworking to build me a replacement that will fit the space much better and house much more, so I'll have to shift those items over to the next shortest, which may make them a bit less prominent. I'll reevaluate when I have everything in place.

Then there's Sentai's $800 Legend of the Galactic Heroes collection from 2018, which gets its own display case and pedestal separate from everything else.

I've attached some images of the room. Some things are kind of thrown wherever they'll fit at the moment, but once I get this new bookcase, I'll be able to spread it out more appropriately again, at least for a little bit.

I've been getting rid of as much as I can, since I want to always be able to spin around all see my entire collection perfectly organized, but I continue to buy at a faster rate, so I'm going to have to figure something out before long.
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 4 photos.
          My Top Anime | Manga
          My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
          My FP Reviews | Twitter
          FPR Episodes | Apple

Comment

For me, I mainly separate things by distributor seeing that their LEs are mostly similar in design, while I generally leave SEs in a box seeing that when I run out of shelf space, they are first things to be taken down. However, the oddly-sized LEs get their own space like the ones for Food Wars, Gate, Danmachi, and the NISA LEs. Seeing that I'm too lazy to go out and get more shelves that unfortunately things are a mess at the moment.
            MyAnimeList | Avatar: Futaba Igarashi, My Senpai is Annoying
            Watching: School-Live!, Hanako-kun, Vanguard Link Joker, Kingdom
            Simulcasts: MHA, TYE, TRN, TSL, HIG, IMH, PMM, KMD, OGF, AQT, VTS, FPP, REM, ROL, DDM, GRO, JHY, HRH, PBR, SGK, SON
            The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Um... does "Wherever There's Room"" count as sorting?

Comment

These responses are just fascinating and make me feel a little like Poirot or Sherlock Holmes as I ponder what these organizational schemes reveal about each poster!

As my anime DVDs and Blu-rays won't fit and aren't especially welcome in the living room media shelving, aside from the two or three shows I'm currently watching (since the living room, potentially seen by outsiders, should only hold our respectable video collection of Disney animation and sci-fi), my anime and manga and figures are primarily on bookshelves and wall shelves in our home office. Placement is pretty random with the exception of arrangement by date of acquisition, so my shelves sort of give insight into my purchasing history (though multiple cour releases of a series go together, whenever I bought them). This then is modified by size constraints (my handful of NISA boxes, like others have mentioned here) and packaging aesthetics--overly large boxes are in the few locations they fit, and particularly pretty packaging, like my Gankutsuo and Kanon and Last Exile boxes, get more prominent placement. It's all terribly eccentric and not terribly useful (just the other day I couldn't find my Cowboy Bebop collection, and then it popped out into my view while I was looking for another title), but it makes for entertaining shelf-scapes.
                Avatar: Samson from Banner of the Stars.
                Nagi-sama Fanclub Member No.0002346

Comment

I think the answer for me is I just need more shelving. Which I have the wall space to implement but not the floor space for bookcases so it becomes abit more complicated overall. I have waaay too much stuff, even compared to some of the more hardcore collectors on here apparently like GingaDaiuchuu. My bedroom is next to my living room so I could fit some shelves in there at somepoint though I prefer to have the collection all in one place.

I also updated my signature links for my collection incase anyone was interested to know what I'm dealing with.
                  Last edited by BlaizeV; 01-18-2020, 07:22 AM.

Comment

I don't sort my collection, but if I did it would probably be chronological by decade each title was released. Except related series in the same franchise would go together even if they spanned multiple decades. Something like that. Alphabetical gets too confusing for reasons some people already mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by SleepyDog View Post
                      These responses are just fascinating and make me feel a little like Poirot or Sherlock Holmes as I ponder what these organizational schemes reveal about each poster!
                      Now I have to know how you've characterized each of us.
                      My Top Anime | Manga
                      My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                      My FP Reviews | Twitter
                      FPR Episodes | Apple

Comment

Originally posted by russ869 View Post
                        I don't sort my collection, but if I did it would probably be chronological by decade each title was released. Except related series in the same franchise would go together even if they spanned multiple decades. Something like that. Alphabetical gets too confusing for reasons some people already mentioned.
                        I've actually been thinking about doing this too for about a year. I like the idea of sorting Anime by decades and eventually years. The part that puts me off is that some franchises will get spread out and quite alot too in some cases. Other issues are how light the 70's would be, even if I had everything available (and I don't) it still wouldn't fill up even a single shelf. Also I would feel the need to have some sort of breakers between years. I've seen people use empty blu ray or dvd cases with custom spines to separate sections which is quite clever. But it takes up more space of course.

But yeah I do like that idea as it is a pet project of mine to occasionally focus on a single year when watching Anime, allowing me to get to titles that I might never get to otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by GingaDaiuchuu View Post

Now I have to know how you've characterized each of us.
                          I'd probably be "scatterbrained."

Comment

I've been collecting for well over 20 years. It's grown to big to shelve so I have them stored in footlockers (21 at this point). I have them inventoried by a number I have on each footlocker. My inventory sheet has them alphabetized but they are not stored that way. They are packed by either Blu-ray or DVD for spacing purposes in the footlocker.

Comment

Quick overview of my collection, no audio. Just under 6 minutes. Just if anyone is curious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFvz9mV0qiY

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X