Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's up with Eureka Seven: Hi-Evolution

Widgets Magazine
    Is this worth my time or am I better off sticking with the original series?
    DVDaf :Collection

I don't really know much about it, but I always thought the one thing that could make Eureka Seven better was if it wasn't so long. So I'm definitely interested in a movie version.

Comment

Originally posted by bearcounty View Post
      Is this worth my time or am I better off sticking with the original series?
      Definitely stick with the original series to get the better and more complete/comprehensive story. Having seen the first film (can't speak for the remaining 2 as of yet, especially when the next one looks very different), Hi-Evolution is going for a very weird recap/alternate retelling of the series with changes all over the place whilst keeping the general story intact.

The first film opens up with a flashback to one of the major events of the show that was only ever alluded to but then turns into recap of the show's middle portion (being recalled by the lead Renton in present time as a framing device), that jumps all over the place with constant subtitles telling us the names, ages and other details of characters or objects. Plus the constant jumping all over the timeline is spelled out for us by the subtitles specifically stating how far ago the event is from the time Renton is currently at.

There is thematic payoff to this but it demands so much of the audience's attention that it gets tiring really fast and there's a lot of scenes that repeat as if to hammer the situation in more than necessary. Give it a go after you've seen the show if any of what I said interests you but otherwise, you're fine without it.
      Youtube - Twitter - Kitsu - Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by JRPictures View Post

Definitely stick with the original series to get the better and more complete/comprehensive story. Having seen the first film (can't speak for the remaining 2 as of yet, especially when the next one looks very different), Hi-Evolution is going for a very weird recap/alternate retelling of the series with changes all over the place whilst keeping the general story intact.

The first film opens up with a flashback to one of the major events of the show that was only ever alluded to but then turns into recap of the show's middle portion (being recalled by the lead Renton in present time as a framing device), that jumps all over the place with constant subtitles telling us the names, ages and other details of characters or objects. Plus the constant jumping all over the timeline is spelled out for us by the subtitles specifically stating how far ago the event is from the time Renton is currently at.

There is thematic payoff to this but it demands so much of the audience's attention that it gets tiring really fast and there's a lot of scenes that repeat as if to hammer the situation in more than necessary. Give it a go after you've seen the show if any of what I said interests you but otherwise, you're fine without it.
        Just watched it and I totally agree. It's a real shame because as you say thematically there is a pay off to this film and you can definitely sense that given a proper full alternate retelling that doesn't need to jump all over the timeline of the original series to try to be coherent that there is a decent film in there somewhere. It's unfortunate because as a mega fan of the orignal series I was really hopeful for this film trilogy, I was even okay with the alternate retelling angle because I enjoyed the original movie quite abit and that was similarly an alternate retelling.

I'll always support and look forward to more Eureka Seven, the original series is just that good. So despite the stuttering attempts to recapture that over the years I'll always go along for the ride.

I gave this first film a 6/10, i.e Fair on my scale. It was okay and once getting over the hurdle of the major change in this timeline I followed it well enough. But yeah this could have been so much better, so much more. Hopefully the preview for the next film isn't misleading us in terms of how much of it will be new vs reused footage. I'm expecting Anemone scenes from the original but hopefully not too many.
        Anime MAL/AP -- Collection Anime/Manga/Figures & General Merch -- YouTube Channel - Anime Pickups, Unboxings etc

Comment

Widgets Magazine
        Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
        Widgets Magazine
        Working...
        X