Widgets Magazine

Recs for "A Place Further than the Universe "?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recs for "A Place Further than the Universe "?

Widgets Magazine
    Can anyone recommend A Place Further than the Universe? Any particular strengths, weaknesses, or cool ideas?
    "The roaring of lions, the howling of wolves, the raging of the stormy sea, and the destructive sword, are portions of eternity too great for the eye of man."

-William Blake, "The Marriage of Heaven and Hell"

I enjoyed the series myself, although first of all I'll admit to having been attracted to it by a general interest in "polar exploration" (which left me aware the characters had a much easier time of their voyage to Antarctica than it would have been a century ago). I suppose it also stood out for starting with the familiar enough premise of "four or so high school girls find a common interest" yet going beyond the familiar sorts of interests (along with seeming to develop more characters than just the "high school girls"), without quite exceeding the bounds of plausibility. There does seem some solid emotional content to go along with the exploration of its setting, too. The criticism I'm aware some would make, though, seems that the character who's our first gateway into the story does seem to wrap up her real character development before leaving Japan, and might come across as a bit of a lightweight afterwards.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
    Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
    Widgets Magazine
    Working...
    X