Widgets Magazine

gunslinger girl - worth watching all the way through or...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gunslinger girl - worth watching all the way through or...

Widgets Magazine
    So getting rid of my netflix subscription for various reasons and looking through its anime section to see which things I might want to watch before it runs out. Heard a lot of good things about gunslinger girl and so started watching it. Boy - is this depressing as all get out even in the first half of the second episode. Really too depressing for me to watch I think. Especially right now. Does this get um at all not terribly heart wrenching or should I just stop?

Also any other anime on netflix I should make sure to watch before it ends? I generally like the serious thought provoking series like Gunslinger Girl (no interest in magi or hunter x hunter for example) and I have a crunchyroll membership so anything that is also on there I will watch on Crunchyroll.

Thanks!
    There is no coincidence only inevitability

Re: gunslinger girl - worth watching all the way through or...

It's very well written, but yes it's somewhat depressing throughout since the little girls do not have much of a future as disposable cyborg assassins. There are moments of happiness, but reality always returns.

Comment

Re: gunslinger girl - worth watching all the way through or...

Doesn't get any less depressing from what I recall. It's still really really good though. But man, Magi and especially HxH are soooo good. Dunno what else you've already watched ,but here are some recommendations that fit in the serious thought-provoking category:

Ajin
      Death Note
      Fate/Zero
      Fate/stay night: UBW
      Your Lie in April
      My Anime List
      Anime DVD/BD Collection

Comment

Oh man, Gunslinger Girl is in my Top 5 favorite anime of all time, because I totally love dark and/or heart-wrenching drama in anime - and "girls with guns" drama is also my favorite genre of anime, too. So yeah, series like Noir, Requiem for the Phantom, Gunslinger Girl, Ergo Proxy, Black Lagoon, Psycho Pass, Ghost in the Shell, Appleseed - all are top favorites of mine.

I really need to watch Texhnolyze and Gilgamesh, I've had them on my shelf for years and haven't gotten to them yet. I have Romeo And Juliet to watch as well. Thanks for that list, Otakufan!

Ajin and Death Parade are my two favorite new anime I've watched in the past year - both were very serious and very awesome.

For me it's all that light, happy, cutesy, comedy anime that I absolutely cannot watch. I just really dislike comedy. So basically, I tend to avoid about 90% of all anime series that exists, lol...

Comment

Originally posted by Chisel View Post
          Dunno what else you've already watched ,but here are some recommendations that fit in the serious thought-provoking category:

Ajin
          Death Note
          Fate/Zero
          Fate/stay night: UBW
          Your Lie in April
          In answer to the OP's original question, and in addition to the above from Chisel.... Mushishi is pretty awesome, one of my favorites in Netflix's anime section, but it can be a somewhat acquired taste. Slow, but quite thought-provoking, and very Japanese. Berserk and Arise are serious, although they have as yet to release the fourth OVA of Arise on Netflix, ever. And I'm actually not a fan of mecha, but I will say I still enjoyed Kuromukuro, ALDNOAH.ZERO, and Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet - all mecha series, but they all had really good stories and were mostly serious and suspenseful, with not so much comedy. Gargantia had a good bit of cutesy and a little fanservice in a scene or two, what with the young girl characters in it, but I was able to overlook most of that because the story was so darn good, scifi-wise.

Comment

Mushishi is on crunchyroll two isn't it? Berserk and Arise I watched but don't do it as much for me as the original Ghost in the shell especially the second movie which I love with a passion. Aldnoah Zero was also good - Gigantia I have heard good things about though that is also on Crunchyroll right? Many of the ones you like are what I like - phycho pass and ghost in the shell are among my favorites. Tecxnolyze you would live along with Lain. From the New World you would also likely like. Death Note and Fate/stay zero I have seen (and they are also on crunchyroll I believe. I expect your lie in April would be to depressing for me right now.

Just watched the third episode of Gunslinger girl ... (boy) and man...I don't think I can ever say sorry again. Also what time period is this set in? It almost looks like it is Italy not Japan given the newspapers and the fact one girl is evidently french and spoke in french (et tu, et tu). Also check out Habanabi Renmei though you will have to buy it as I don't think it is online anywhere - beautiful, strange, and thought provoking.

Comment

Originally posted by zaldar View Post
              Mushishi is on crunchyroll two isn't it?
              The OVA and second series is. FUNimation streams the first series. Some of FUNi's titles have been coming to Crunchyroll due to their partnership, but some may not due to license restrictions.
              Gigantia I have heard good things about though that is also on Crunchyroll right?
              It's Gargantia, but yes, it is.
              Also check out Habanabi Renmei though you will have to buy it as I don't think it is online anywhere
              It is online. FUNimation streams it.

Comment

Many of the ones you like are what I like - phycho pass and ghost in the shell are among my favorites. Tecxnolyze you would live along with Lain. From the New World you would also likely like. I expect your lie in April would be to depressing for me right now.

Just watched the third episode of Gunslinger girl ... (boy) and man...I don't think I can ever say sorry again. Also what time period is this set in? It almost looks like it is Italy not Japan given the newspapers and the fact one girl is evidently french and spoke in french (et tu, et tu). Also check out Habanabi Renmei though you will have to buy it as I don't think it is online anywhere - beautiful, strange, and thought provoking.
                I'm actually in the middle of a re-watch of From the New World on Blu-ray right now, That is another big favorite of mine, of more recent anime series. Definitely check out Your Lie in April at some point, yes it is a bit sad, but the story is really good - and if you like classical music at all, it's loaded with great performances.

And yes, Gunslinger Girl is set in Italy.

I've seen Lain, and I've watched the first half of Haibane Renmei but haven't had a chance to finish the entire show - I picked up that nice Geneon DVD Art Box set with the wrap-around image of all the children on it about 3 years ago.
                Last edited by t-Roy; 06-02-2017, 10:09 PM.

Comment

Just found this Thread!...

Now I'm soooo wanting to re-watch Gunslinger Girl!

For me it's like watching the Banner of the Stars Saga or Heroic Age, meaning it's infinity re-watchable
                  ( to me ) and I re-watch it ( them ) more often than any of my other Anime's.

ps
                  Of don't be shy about asking t-Roy about his love for Lolita & Uber Cutesy Anime Girls
                  Last edited by BWBODDY; 05-16-2017, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Ah nothing wrong with likeing cute anime girls. HR is good though for many other reasons than that and you should certainly finish watching it. Have watched more of Gunslinger Girl now and wow is it depressing sigh...I have also spoiled myself and it seems like it gets even worse. Sigh...ah well. Will likely finish it eventually. Unlike other things on netflix it seems like it doesn't go away.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                    Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                    Widgets Magazine
                    Working...
                    X