Widgets Magazine

Tenchi Muyo other than original OVAs?????

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tenchi Muyo other than original OVAs?????

Widgets Magazine
    Fan of the original first two OVA series, rewatching right now and still find the show enjoyable. I was wondering which of the subsequent series are worth watching. I know the original OVA was "continued" in 2003 and 2016 with parts 3 & 4 which I get the impression were not well received. Not surprising given the 8 year delay between OVA series 2's cliffhanger ending and series 3 having almost none of the of the original staff iirc.

Anyways, I'm not a huge fan of retelling stories and rewriting characters/relationships/etc. It's one thing to retell King Kong 30 years later or retell the events of Gundam's One Year War from different participants; but rewriting a show from just a few years ago seemed really odd to me at the time. So when revision after revision came along I just passed. However I was curious which of the subsequent Tenchi shows you guys and gals might recommend. Are OVA series 3 and 4 worth watching if I go into them without any expectations? What about War on Geminar? How about the movies, and do these continue the OVA storylines or branch off on their own? Other recommendations?

I quite like Tenchi Muyo GXP, which is a comedy sidestory with all new characters with some nice touches with the Tenchi cast. Tenchi's cousin winds up in the Galaxy Police, and winds up in a harem. As you do.It's a Nabeshin comedy, the only Nabeshin comedy I can rewatch (with the exception of Narima Daikon Brothers which I have only seen once to this point). I think it benefits from developing the Tenchi universe without continuing the main story. It does tie into the 3rd OVA but you don't have to watch that to enjoy GXP.

Comment

If you're describing the time between Tenchi OVA2 (1994) and Tenchi OVA3 (2003) as "just a few years," then isn't from Mobile Suit Gundam (1979) to War in the Pocket (1989) also "just a few years?"

Comment

3 is not a classic, but isn't awful either. The movies are worth seeing, especially In Love.

I also enjoyed both GXP and War on Geminar, which is another side story. Geminar has a cousin who's sent to another universe and ends up a mecha pilot. A harem might be involved.

Comment

Tenchi Universe is quite a bit better than the original OVAs IMO, but I mostly love it because of Kiyone, my favorite character in the entire franchise. She adds a lot of life, and a necessary straight man, to the character dynamics. I also love the show for its more streamlined and accessible story, and it actually has a proper conclusion. My only complaint is the cheaper animation. Its two films are great too, although the first In Love film is heavily derivative of Back to the Future (the theme song is even called "The Power of Love"). The second In Love film (Tenchi Forever) is my favorite though, although some people hate it because it's a melodrama that takes itself much more seriously than the rest of the franchise (perhaps too seriously). The change of tone is the reason why I love it though. It wanted to be something different. The Daughter of Darkness film is very short (just 50 mins), not connected to any other timeline, and, while watchable, it's nothing memorable. All three films have gorgeous artwork and animation.
          Avatar: Ryoga Hibiki from Ranma 1/2

Comment

There is enjoyment to be had watching both Universe & Tokyo, but I don't think either are great. I would say Universe is around OVA 2 level, and Tokyo is a bit weaker.

In Love and Forever are the only things I really like watching, outside of OVA 1. Both act as a follow up to Universe, but outside of Kiyone you're not missing much if you don't end up watching Universe. I thought Daughter of Darkness was boring.

I've only seen a little of GXP & Geminar, but I didn't like what I saw. I found OVA 3 to be really poor. I haven't seen OVA 4 or the newest series.

Comment

Originally posted by davesimmons View Post
              3 is not a classic, but isn't awful either. The movies are worth seeing, especially In Love.

I also enjoyed both GXP and War on Geminar, which is another side story. Geminar has a cousin who's sent to another universe and ends up a mecha pilot. A harem might be involved.
              GXP is really essential viewing for the OVAs. It takes place a year after the events of the 3rd OVA, and has cameos by the OVA cast. It was broadcast a year before the 3rd OVA came out. The 3rd OVA is not bad: It just tries to jam too much into too little time. GXP gives you the background you need to understand some of the characters who make appearances in the 3rd OVA. GXP does a LOT of world building for the entire OVA series, and is fun just from that aspect. I enjoyed it a good bit.

War on Geminar is very good, and highly recommended. It features 15-year old Kenshi Masaki, the half-brother of Tenchi. He's the son of Tenchi's dad, Noboyuki, and Rea, who get married at the end of the 3rd OVA (with Rea being shown visibly pregnant in a quick pic during GXP), meaning that it takes place about 15-years after the events of GXP. About the major connection with the OVAs are Kenshi's references to his "sisters" as sources for some of the training he's received in various domestic matters.
              My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
              1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
              2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
              3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

I forgot about the Mihoshi special in my previous post; it is also one of the few pieces of the Tenchi series I really like.

Comment

If you liked the OVA, Tenchi Universe is definitely worth a look. Its not so much a retelling of the OVA as . . . more of a sibling series. Universe was for tv broadcast, and - unlike the OVA - its a complete story.

Universe fiddles with some of the character origins, and introduces two new characters: Kiyone, a practical and level-headed GP officer (and Mihoshi's long suffering partner). And a female bounty hunter obsessed with catching Ryoko (and with her own cabbit!)

The finale was good, and the movies ("In Love" and "Daughter of Darkness") are based off the Universe timeline.
                  "The roaring of lions, the howling of wolves, the raging of the stormy sea, and the destructive sword, are portions of eternity too great for the eye of man."

-William Blake, "The Marriage of Heaven and Hell"

Comment

The other Tenchi titles are sort of hit-or-miss. As I understand it, the creator got pigeonholed as "the Tenchi Muyo guy", and had problems getting funding to do anything else . . . unless he somehow made it a Tenchi-tie in.

Except for the same cast, Tenchi in Tokyo is radically different than the OVA. In this version, Tenchi is sent to Tokyo to study to become a priest, just as it comes under repeated monster attack. Much more of a fantasy title, than the space opera of the original

Tenchi GxP . . .is sort of an OVA tie-in. The protagonist is a cousin (never mentioned in the original OVAs), with phenomenally, cosmically bad luck. A passing space officer, fascinated by how his mere presence actively warps causality, offers him a spot at the police academy . . .

The humor was a bit crasser, than in the other Tenchi titles. And there are a number of blink-and-you'll miss-them cameos from the OVA. Otherwise, though, it might as well be an entirely separate series.

Haven't really seen Geminar, Pretty Sasami (a magical girl show, using Tenchi characters), or . . . shoot, the one with the school cooking club.
                    "The roaring of lions, the howling of wolves, the raging of the stormy sea, and the destructive sword, are portions of eternity too great for the eye of man."

-William Blake, "The Marriage of Heaven and Hell"

Comment

Universe is definitely my pick for the second best over the original two OVA series. It's adds one very important character, makes a complete story and is everything the original OVA's were (comedy, harem, space opera) but twice as much.

The other major recommendation from me would be GXP. It's a great spinoff set in the same universe. Also has all the best parts of the original OVA's (comedy, harem, space opera) just in it's own storyline and once again twice as long.

Everything else you can take it or leave it as you please. But the original two OVA, Universe and GXP are the only ones I'd keep in my essentials collection.

J. A.
                      Currently Watching: Fairy Tail Coll. 4, Freezing, Digimon Frontier, Black Lagoon
                      Just Finished: Battle Girls, Sailor Moon R-2, Sabagebu, Infinite Stratos 2
                      Current Backlog: 38 Series: 22 Bricks/Lite boxes, 16 BD's/Combos
                      Current Collection: 362 Series, plus: 70+ movies, 110+ OVA's, 30+ Singles

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                      Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                      Widgets Magazine
                      Working...
                      X