Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking For Sentai Flash Sale Recommendations

Widgets Magazine
    Hey all! Right Stuf is doing a Sentai Flash sale this weekend with some exceptional deals!

Sure, most people on these forums know Fate/Stay Night, Clannad, High School of the Dead, etc. But what are your favorite hidden gems of the Sentai catalog that are on sale that I should pick up at the low risk of $25 or less for an entire series? Help me find some great series among the hundreds on sale! Thanks!

Re: Looking For Sentai Flash Sale Recommendations

A few of these are not necessarily "hidden" but should be tried out if you haven't yet:

Dusk Maiden of Amnesia
    Living for the Day After Tomorrow
    Love Lab
    Shigofumi
    Tari Tari
    Watamote

Comment

Again not all of these are considered "hidden" gems but all great titles in my opinion.

Ef A Tale Of Memories & Melodies
      Garden Of Words
      Girls Und Panzer
      Kids On The Slope
      Kokoro Connect
      Love Lab
      Tamako Market
      TARI TARI
      Waiting In The Summer

Comment

Both of you mentioned Love Lab and I know NOTHING about it - what do you like about it?

Comment

Flowers of Evil and Ghost Hound if you want excellent drama and mystery. Ditto Love Lab if you enjoy comedy.

Comment

Originally posted by IamBoogiepop View Post
            Both of you mentioned Love Lab and I know NOTHING about it - what do you like about it?
            Love Lab is from a favorite comedy director/writer team of mine (that have also done: Minami-ke S1, Mitsudomoe, YuruYuri, Kotoura-san, Sabagebu, Umaru-chan, and Gabriel DropOut). If you like comedy with quirky, cute girls, it's one of the better ones in Sentai's catalog in that regard IMO. It also has some heartfelt dramatic moments. I just got to rewatching it several months ago and it held up very well.

Comment

Sold! Picking it up - thanks y'all!

Comment

Does anyone have any opinions on Maoyu, Yozakura Quartet, The Book of Bantorra, MM!, Tamako Market, or Mayo Chiki. I'm eyeballing those as blind buys. Any I should stay away from?

Thanks for the feedback!

Comment

Originally posted by IamBoogiepop View Post
                  Does anyone have any opinions on Maoyu, Yozakura Quartet, The Book of Bantorra, MM!, Tamako Market, or Mayo Chiki. I'm eyeballing those as blind buys. Any I should stay away from?

Thanks for the feedback!
                  I haven't watched Yozakura Quartet, Book of Bantorra, or Mayo Chiki, so I can't say anything about those shows. As for Maoyu, Tamako Market, and MM!, I can offer some insight and opinions about them.

Maoyu has a pretty interesting story, but one that's extremely hard to follow. One of the biggest reasons is that none of the characters have names and so much is just going on that it will be pretty challenging to comprehend what's going on. It's not a bad show per se seeing that it is done by Arms, which is one of the worst animation studios out there, but it's not for everybody.

Tamako Market is a fun show for those who love cute girls doing cute things. The animation is great as it's done by the same production team that did K-On! at KyoAni. If you enjoyed K-On!, then you'll have a good time with this show. While far from the exceptional quality that KyoAni is known for seeing that the plot is just about non-existent, it still is worth watching.

As for MM!, it's a decent show for the comedy and stuff, but it is filled with cliches galore and characters that can be a handful to put up with. At least the comedy is solid, but otherwise this show is mostly forgettable.

So that's my opinion about those three, but I can't say anything for the rest.
                  MyAnimeList | Avatar: Futaba Igarashi, My Senpai is Annoying
                  Watching: School-Live!, Hanako-kun, Vanguard Link Joker, Kingdom
                  Simulcasts: MHA, TYE, TRN, TSL, HIG, IMH, PMM, KMD, OGF, AQT, VTS, FPP, REM, ROL, DDM, GRO, JHY, HRH, PBR, SGK, SON
                  The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Yozakura Quartet should be avoided, I checked it out when it was released many years ago and found it pretty dull and uninspired. Nothing about it stood out in any way. (Oh, except the lead female character has a really long scarf!)

If you like harem shows, Mayo Chiki is a pretty decent offering. I can't say it really excels at anything or does anything new but it handles the cliches very well.

I watched a little over half of Book of Bantorra, its a rather challenging watch but I can't say its bad. The line between good and evil becomes pretty blurred in this show and there's a lot to keep track of. Maybe its best described as a philosophical action series.

I did like Maoyu but was also perplexed by the lack of character names, it really needed a second season as there's clearly much more to the story.
                    Last edited by Cyberdyne; 03-24-2017, 08:53 PM.

Comment

I am a harem connoisseur so I can say that MM! and Mayo Chiki are pretty standard harem shows. If you don't like harem shows then stay away. Since these are standard their appeal lies in if you like the particular gimmick and the characters. MM! is centered around masochism and sadism fetishes. Mayo Chiki is about gynophobia, tsundere traps and keeping secrets (OR ELSE!).

Maoyu is one of those high concept shows. Unfortunately it is so interested in its high concepts that the characters and plotting suffer. So if the concept really falls in your lap of using modern ideas to remake a standard fantasy world then go for it. If you are more into characters and plotting and action then not so much.

Book of Bantorra is from the days of nihilistic scifi except this is actually a fantasy show. The action and character designs are great. The world building is fascinating but this is one of those shows that is nihilistic and to an extent misanthropic. In these kinds of shows the "good guys" don't just lose they get brutalized. Idealistic people suffer fates worse than death. The show covers a lot so you will have to pay attention to get everything and even then you will find that the whole point is more nihilism and suffering. So if you are a lover of shows like Technolyze you will find fun here.

Comment

Originally posted by lesterf1020 View Post
                        So if you are a lover of shows like Technolyze you will find fun here.
                        OOO! Sold me there! At less than $1 an ep for Blu, I'll give it a go.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberdyne View Post
                          Yozakura Quartet should be avoided, I checked it out when it was released many years ago and found it pretty dull and uninspired. Nothing about it stood out in any way. (Oh, except the lead female character has a really long scarf!)
                          Yeah, I bought this a long time ago and still never finished watching it. On the other hand, if you can find a way to see any of the later anime versions directed by Ryo-timo (e.g. Hana no Uta TV series, Hoshi no Umi and Tsuki ni Naku OAVs) I highly recommend those. Mostly based on the unbelievably good animation and fantastic Unison Square Garden songs.

Comment

Originally posted by russ869 View Post
                            Originally posted by Cyberdyne View Post
                            Yeah, I bought this a long time ago and still never finished watching it. On the other hand, if you can find a way to see any of the later anime versions directed by Ryo-timo (e.g. Hana no Uta TV series, Hoshi no Umi and Tsuki ni Naku OAVs) I highly recommend those. Mostly based on the unbelievably good animation and fantastic Unison Square Garden songs.
                            Yowza! Those look incredible - guessing they were never licensed for R1, huh?

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                            Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                            Widgets Magazine
                            Working...
                            X