Widgets Magazine

Good, Safe anime for young children to learn Japanese from. Ideally US released.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good, Safe anime for young children to learn Japanese from. Ideally US released.

Widgets Magazine
    Anyone have a suggestion for a young child for a show available in Japanese to help learn the language from? My first thought was Astroboy but that is English dubbed only. Would prefer US releases without hard subs as JPN titles get overly pricey. Also nothing with any kind of social agenda, gender-bending, hyper violent, etc.

Is Cardcaptor Sakura hard-subbed? That's mostly safe and family friendly. Are you looking for shows with dubs too or is strictly subbed only OK?

Edit: A Little Snow Fairy Sugar should also be family friendly from what I remember.

Comment

This site has some advice about learning Japanese through anime and some suggestions. Polar Bear's Cafe is suggested for a wide age range. I could add The Adventures of Mini-Goddess to that and IGPX.

Comment

Originally posted by Art-chan View Post
        Is Cardcaptor Sakura hard-subbed? That's mostly safe and family friendly. Are you looking for shows with dubs too or is strictly subbed only OK?

Edit: A Little Snow Fairy Sugar should also be family friendly from what I remember.
        Ideally I am looking for US releases that have japanese audio without hard subs so it can be watched in straight Japanese and are kid friendly.

Comment

K-on!, both seasons, some of the Ghibli films, some of the Mamoru Hosoda films. Maybe Is this Order a Rabbit and Natsume's book of friends. Maybe even Barakamon, but there's a punch scene in episode 1 xD.

Comment

Non Non Biyori is pretty safe. You'll have to buy DVDs, not BDs as most BDs have locked subtitles, and even some of the DVDs have their subtitles locked during playback. There's a locked subtitle thread in this forum that will help in that regard.

Comment

It might be helpful to provide a general age range for the child. I'd like to suggest Nadia and Nadesico, but I also realize both may have content that's not the most appropriate for very young viewers.

Ghibli films could be a good choice. For the youngest set, movies like Totoro, Laputa, Kiki, Arrietty, and Panda Go Panda would probably work. (On a side note, GKIDS now has the license to much of Ghibli's catalog, and it sounds like they may be able to provide better US releases than Disney. Just something to keep in mind.)

Taking a quick look at some of my collection, a few other suggestions that might work: the original FUNimation release of Summer Wars (not the Hosoda Collection version, which has locked subtitles), the original Bandai release (and I believe the initial FUNi release) of The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (again, not the Hosoda Collection version), and A Letter to Momo (subtitles can only be turned off using a pop-up menu and can't be toggle on the fly). And while they're DVD-only in the US, Aria is a pretty gentle series, and I think Kyatto-Ninden Teyandee (JP version of Samurai Pizza Cats) could be appropriate.

As mentioned above, you'll really want to look at the Locked Subtitles Thread and this related website. The overwhelming majority of US BD releases have locked subs, and Sentai has also been locking most of their DVDs for a while now.
              Last edited by Junker Woland; 07-23-2017, 11:53 AM.
              Junker Woland, a horribly delightful blog.

Comment

Most Studio Ghibli films would be great, especially My Neighbor Totoro and Kiki's Delivery Service. Also, some of Mamoru Hosoda's films should be fine, with Summer Wars being the most young-aged-appropriate (Wolf Children is amazing but there is a very, very short sex scene; absolutely not graphic in any way... the film has a PG rating). The Boy and the Beast has some action scenes, but no sexual content whatsoever.

Regarding another user's comment on Barakamon, I would disagree with this. The content itself is appropriate for all ages, but some of the English dubbing features references to S&M, among other sexual acts. I'm not certain if the same goes for the subbed version, though.

Although I haven't seen it, She and Her Cat seems harmless and simple enough, too (might be pretty dialogue-light, however).

Comment

Since most of the replies have been US licensed shows, I trow my 2 cents for non-licensed family friendly TV anime series:

Hime-chan's Ribbon - No swearing or fan-service in the series, but the subject of death pops up.
                  The Snow Queen (2005) - No swearing, no fan-service in this TV Series, though the match stick girl episode, still breaks my heart. The subject and theme of death pops up in this series.
                  My Daddy Long legs (from World Masterpiece Theater time block in japan) - I quite enjoyed this series, though the theme of death pops up in this series.

It's worth IMO to check out the World Masterpiece Theater anime adaptions, from the anime pre-digital area, as those series in particular are kid friendly, and in general are well adapted. Personally I would pay for the majority of the World Masterpiece Theater anime TV series, if they were licensed.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                  Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                  Widgets Magazine
                  Working...
                  X