Widgets Magazine

Sailor Moon VIZ Video release on DVD or Blu ray?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sailor Moon VIZ Video release on DVD or Blu ray?

Widgets Magazine
    Hey everyone, I am planning to collect Sailor Moon. I generally prefer Blu ray releases when it makes a large difference in picture quality. It seems like the Blu ray releases from VIZ don't seem to have the best picture quality and don't really benefit from a Blu ray release. Would you recommend going with the DVD release to save some money as they are a lot cheaper?
    Blu-ray/DVD Collection / MAL / IMDB
    Most wanted anime licenses: Kodomo No Omocha, Pumpkin Wine, Maison Ikkoku Movie/OVA, Tokimeki Tonight, Nurse Angel Ririka SOS, Windaria, End of Summer
    Most wanted live action Blu-Ray releases: Blood Beach (1980), Looking for Mr. Goodbar (1977), Malibu Bikini Shop (1986), Streets of Fire (1984), Dead of Night (1945)

Re: Sailor Moon VIZ Video release on DVD or Blu ray?

I would recommend the Madman R4 DVD releases. They contain a better transfer and the new Viz dub. They also have some nice (not as nice as Viz though) Limited Edition packaging for the sets should you want that too.

The Viz Media DVDs are downscales of the Blu Rays. Which probably makes them even worse.
    Last edited by BlaizeV; 02-03-2017, 10:04 AM.
    Anime MAL/AP -- Collection Anime/Manga/Figures & General Merch -- YouTube Channel - Anime Pickups, Unboxings etc

Comment

Originally posted by blaizevincent View Post
      I would recommend the Madman R4 DVD releases. They contain a better transfer and the new Viz dub. They also have some nice (not as nice as Viz though) Limited Edition packaging for the sets should you want that too.

The Viz Media DVDs are downscales of the Blu Rays. Which probably makes them even worse.
      If anything, being at a lower resolution masks some of the ridiculous artifacts of the Blu-ray. If one wasn't willing to import, I'd suggest saving money and just getting the DVDs, since the Blu-rays aren't any better at all in this case. Macroblocking isn't an added issue on the DVDs, since the Blu-rays already have heavy pixellation in motion.

Comment

I will most likely go with the DVD releases as well. And most Walmarts carry them at a very reduced price.

Comment

IF you can play R4 DVD releases I really must repeat that the Madman releases are the way to go. They use the Italian DVD masters and as shown in this comparison they completely destroy the Viz Media releases
          Anime MAL/AP -- Collection Anime/Manga/Figures & General Merch -- YouTube Channel - Anime Pickups, Unboxings etc

Comment

It's Sailor Moon not GITS for Gods sake!

So unless you need fancy packaging or booklets? Why pay double for essentially the same quality especially as SM was never high quality animation to begin with?

J. A.
            Currently Watching: Fairy Tail Coll. 4, Freezing, Digimon Frontier, Black Lagoon
            Just Finished: Battle Girls, Sailor Moon R-2, Sabagebu, Infinite Stratos 2
            Current Backlog: 38 Series: 22 Bricks/Lite boxes, 16 BD's/Combos
            Current Collection: 362 Series, plus: 70+ movies, 110+ OVA's, 30+ Singles

Comment

Widgets Magazine
            Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
            Widgets Magazine
            Working...
            X