Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So is black butler actually good?

Widgets Magazine
    So I had the "normal" anime fan opinion of Black Butler as being something for girls and only about hot guys. Recently though I did a podcast where cohost and I chose a random anime, watched the first episode and then reviewed it. I ended up with black butler book of circus - which I assume is a second season? Link to the podcast is below. (cohost got Gundum wing which was interesting also posted question about that in general anime thread). Long story short the episode was actually pretty entertaining. Had a good bit of what I was expecting but also some really funny slapstick comedy as well as some hints the setup is actually a bit more interesting than I thought. So is it actually worth going back and watching the first season of this?

Thanks!
    Zaldar returns to review ACCA 13. We also press the ?random? button on Crunchyroll.com and review the first episode of what comes up. Jellokun gets Gundam Wing Zaldar gets Black Butler ?
    There is no coincidence only inevitability

Black Butler is a show that I never expected to enjoy. It's got the hot guys aspect to it, and it's got the uncomfortable shipping aspect between it's devilish butler and his emotionally scarred young charge, which elicits plenty of girly squee among fans.

But damn if the story isn't really put together well. It goes into dark and unsettling places, while still maintaining a light comic touch. The first season was half manga adapted, half original, and the second was wholly original. Quite a few didn't rate the second season because it does up the shipping and the superficial fannish aspects of the show, but I found that the story was still really strong underneath, and I enjoyed it.

Book of Circus is the third season, and it's a pure manga adaptation, no more original elements, and the same is true for Book of Murder OVA and the Book of the Atlantic movie. I haven't seen the latter two yet, but I recently watched Book of Circus, and it is the best of the three seasons that I have seen, because it sticks to the manga.

Comment

Hmm ok so watch the first so I know what is going on and then watch the third? Interesting ok thanks!
      There is no coincidence only inevitability

Comment

Widgets Magazine
      Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
      Widgets Magazine
      Working...
      X