Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AccA 13 - possibly the best anime of 2017

Widgets Magazine
    Do you like your anime thought provoking? Do you like a slow reveal? What about a bit of Noir? Do you have a thing for cigarettes? You need to check out ACCA 13. This show is an amazing. Somewhat of a slow burn as the first episode doesn't show its hand but it is pretty obvious very quickly that many different things are moving underneath the surface. Who is controlling who and why will be something you question throughout the entire series. No action but great characters, incredible story, and brooding art that fits the story they are telling incredibly. I think it may have some Japanese history influences but they are to buried for me to be sure.

Noir feel of Cowboy bebop without the sci-fi elements, to me a much better plot, but worse music (though the music is good just not up to bebop levels).
    There is no coincidence only inevitability

Yes, I totally agree - just the first episode hooked me. I haven't quite finished watching the entire series yet, but I can tell it's going to be exceptional. I already own the first JP Blu-ray release of ACCA 13 [EngSub], and I have the remaining two parts on pre-order. The second release will be shipping to me this week. Although, I think they should have put a scratch and sniff label on each box that smells like cigarette smoke, to make the release even more engaging, lol...

Comment

While I can't say it's the best of 2017, it definitely is a show worth watching. I'll admit that I came close to dropping it after the first two episodes just felt dull and lifeless, but from episode 3 onward the show starts to hit its stride as the drama really takes off from there. The staff and moderators raved about that show in their seasonal review, and I certainly agree with them. In any case, while it is a great show, saying that it has some pretty stiff competition for the best.
      MyAnimeList | Avatar: Latina, If It's For My Daughter, I'd Even Defeat a Demon Lord
      Watching: Princess Principal, Darling in the FranXX, Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, Toonami Stuff
      Simulcasts: FTL, KYB, FRB, MIX, FIL, MTI, DUN, ALS, COP, DRS, IDD, FSN-LE, VLS, MMZ, GIV, HES, HDB, AKO, NHG, RST, SND, PKC
      The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Just finished off ACCA 13 this morning, and I thought it was superb, as I was expecting it to be. Plus, it has a satisfying ending with closure, something that is so uncommon with too many other anime. Add this one to Ajin and Death Parade as my three top favorite anime I have watched in the past year. I am so very relieved to find that there are still some worthwhile, mature anime being made out there that is not part of the incessant drivel of cutesy, moe, comedy, fanservice, and high school anime I find either juvenile or distasteful. I know the bulk of anime is made for a younger audience, but I'm glad to see at least a few mature anime out there for us older viewers. I want to see more of this kind of anime being made, and I definitely need the remaining two JP box sets for this in my anime collection...

Comment

IMO, I would say contenders for AOTY (anime of the year TV series-wise) IMO so far (mid year so far), for 'mature anime' would be: Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Season 2, Natsume Book of Friends season 5, The Eccentric Family season 2, Kemono Friends and ACCA 13.

Slightly off topic - Anime movie-wise for AMOTY( Anime Movie of the Year) is pretty open IMO this year, as I think there's plenty of interesting anime movies that haven't been released on physical media yet, that IMO are interesting. A list of anime movies', I'm interested in are:

Mary and The Witch's Flower
          Hirune Hime ~Shiranai Watashi no Monogatari
          Yoake Tsugeru Lu no Uta
          Yoru wa Mijikashi Arukeyo Otome
          "Haikara-san ga Tooru Zenpen ~Benio, Hana no 17-Sai~
          Biblia Koshodou no Jiken Techou
          Soutai Sekai (The Relative Worlds)

Comment

I enjoyed the series but it spent a whole lot of time getting to it's reveal and the twist at the end was incredibly anti climatic considering the buildup. I wasn't expecting a massive action scene or anything but given the insane amount of buildup to that moment and for that moment to literally just be a wise sentence or two to difuse everything. Yeah I liked AccA but it's not the best show of the year but it is one of the most interesting.

For me the best show of the year is easily Eccentric Family Season 2. That show oozes charm, has just insanely likable characters, bags of style and a super interesting story full of twists and turns.
            Anime MAL/AP -- Collection Anime/Manga/Figures & General Merch -- YouTube Channel - Anime Pickups, Unboxings etc

Comment

Glad to see others liked it! I didn't find the ending a let down, found it wonderful to see how our MC manipulated everyone and how he stayed true to himself. Have not seen the others listed here but will have to check them out if they are better than ACCA 13 that will be hard to believe! These are on CR or Netflix right? Those are the places I watch my anime. Also staff and moderators have a seasonal review? Where is this? Several of the staff and moderators here have tastes that match with mine...
              There is no coincidence only inevitability

Comment

Widgets Magazine
              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
              Widgets Magazine
              Working...
              X