Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sell me or scare me on Kimikiss Pure Rogue and Amagami

Widgets Magazine
    Looking to pick these series up during the Right Stuf holiday sale. I'm looking for some romance shows where characters have relationships that progress, are more mature (they can communicate with one another and not give into misunderstandings) and generally provide some decent laughs/drama.
    Blu-ray/DVD Collection / MAL / IMDB
    Most wanted anime licenses: Kodomo No Omocha, Pumpkin Wine, Maison Ikkoku Movie/OVA, Tokimeki Tonight, Nurse Angel Ririka SOS, Windaria, End of Summer
    Most wanted live action Blu-Ray releases: Blood Beach (1980), Looking for Mr. Goodbar (1977), Malibu Bikini Shop (1986), Streets of Fire (1984), Dead of Night (1945)

Re: Sell me or scare me on Kimikiss Pure Rogue and Amagami

Also interested in My Little Monster.
    Most wanted anime licenses: Kodomo No Omocha, Pumpkin Wine, Maison Ikkoku Movie/OVA, Tokimeki Tonight, Nurse Angel Ririka SOS, Windaria, End of Summer
    Most wanted live action Blu-Ray releases: Blood Beach (1980), Looking for Mr. Goodbar (1977), Malibu Bikini Shop (1986), Streets of Fire (1984), Dead of Night (1945)

Comment

Kimikiss is okay, but nothing special IMHO. It has a decent romance and drama, but the characters fall a bit flat for me. My main gripe with it is how slow the drama unfolds and how it is more slice of life than romance at times. Also, the characters did not really grab me as well as with Amagami. That said, it is a solid romantic drama with some comedy, and you may enjoy it depending on your tastes. I would recommend Amagami over it, but, if the price is right, this may be a nice addition for you as well if you don't mind it being a slower build up with less overall focus until the end. I should note, given their age, it is more teen angst-y than you may like if you are expecting something mature.

Amagami is very good and recommended. The girls each get development, some more than others, and all feel unique and stand out in some way. While they are clearly based on certain archetypes, they do have good acting behind them and the romantic drama is mostly well done, if brief. The comedy is also a lot better timed and utilized here than in KimiKiss IMHO. I felt more invested in the characters and their relationship than I felt with KimiKiss, which took a longer and more drawn out approach down a certain route. With Amagami, each girl is covered in about 3 to 4 episode bursts and then it resets with the next girl, like a dating sim game; which this anime is based on. Even though it resets every few episodes, each "route" is well done and feels satisfying if you appreciate the characters. There is also a sequel anime that gives more time for each girl and adds a couple more, too. The game the Amagami anime is based on is considered a spiritual successor to KimiKiss' game, since they are both from the same company with a similar feel, FWIW. The main con would be the main guy in Amagami is somewhat bland and not hashed out nearly as well as the girls are, serving more as a self insert in many cases. The relationships are a lot more mature here than in KimiKiss, and they each progress to a satisfying point.

Both could be good for you depending on your tastes and mood, but I'd definitely recommend Amagami as the more memorable and better executed one for me.
      My Anime List - My Collection
      Avatar: Kirino Kousaka & Ruri "Kuro Neko" Gokou from the anime Ore no Imouto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai (OreImo).
      Adroc Thurston - "Don't beg for things. Do it yourself, or else you won't get anything."
      Anemone - "So many faces looking like they're thinking even though they're not. So disgusting."

Comment

Thanks Sonic. I decided to get both from the Holiday sale. They were about $20 per series on the holiday sale. Worth the risk.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
        Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
        Widgets Magazine
        Working...
        X