Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Armitage III

Widgets Magazine
    Not a question about quality, I've seen the Poly Matrix movie before, and I liked it. I'm sure I'll like the original OVAs too. But I was wondering what the odds are that we will see a blu-ray release? Should I wait some more? Is the picture quality on the FUNI DVDs good?

Re: Armitage III

I could see a modern audience enjoying Armitage III. Its a nice cyberpunk romp across Mars - one that SciFi/SyFy picked up for broadcast, and which I suspect influenced the Will Smith adaptation of I, Robot. But I don't know if anyone has the Blu-Ray rights . . .

Plus, there's the issue of the dub. Polymatrix was kind of an experiment, to see whether "known" American actors could boost sales. So Pioneer/Geneon may not have locked down the rights to use the dub in other media formats. And - as far as I know - neither Kiefer Sutherland nor Elizabeth Berkeley did any voice acting after Polymatrix . . . So it might be hard to get those rights, at least at this point.

So I suppose the answer is - it depends. Does anyone have the rights? And if not, can anyone get them?
    "The roaring of lions, the howling of wolves, the raging of the stormy sea, and the destructive sword, are portions of eternity too great for the eye of man."

-William Blake, "The Marriage of Heaven and Hell"

Comment

I don't know whether it occasionally happens that an American home video company releases the North American version of the Blu-ray Disc of Anime X before a Japanese home video company releases the Japanese version of the BD of Anime X, but it seems that Pioneer/Geneon/Universal has not yet released the BD of the Armitage III OVA in Japan.
      Moreover, the cheap edition DVD of the Armitage III OVA, which Geneon released in Japan in the 2000s, seems to be out of stock now.
      A few years ago, there was a 'Let's talk about anime which only middle-aged anime maniacs know about' thread on Open 2ch, and Armitage III, too, was mentioned in the thread. Armitage III may have become a half-forgotten anime that only middle-aged anime maniacs remember.

Comment

Originally posted by kijakusai View Post
        I don't know whether it occasionally happens that an American home video company releases the North American version of the Blu-ray Disc of Anime X before a Japanese home video company releases the Japanese version of the BD of Anime X, but it seems that Pioneer/Geneon/Universal has not yet released the BD of the Armitage III OVA in Japan.
        Moreover, the cheap edition DVD of the Armitage III OVA, which Geneon released in Japan in the 2000s, seems to be out of stock now.
        A few years ago, there was a 'Let's talk about anime which only middle-aged anime maniacs know about' thread on Open 2ch, and Armitage III, too, was mentioned in the thread. Armitage III may have become a half-forgotten anime that only middle-aged anime maniacs remember.
        I'm not quite sure, but Funi released a bunch of blurays which were upscales when they were just starting to get on the BD bandwagon, so in those cases there might be a NA blu ray of an anime that wasn't released in Japan. Obviously, I wouldn't be interested in upscales on BD.

OVAs, in general, are not prioritized for BD releases. You have the IMPORTANT titles, like Megazone 23, or Bubblegum Crisis, but all those OVAs that came and went probably won't ever see a BD release, and Japanese companies are fairly notorious for not preserving their masters for OVAs.

For Armitage III, I'm not exactly sure how "big" a hit it was. It was notable and it was quite well promoted when it came out, but it does not seem to be one of those OVAs on the level of a historically relevant enough to warrant a BD release, at least not right now.

Maybe I should just get the Funi DVDs. It's cheap anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by kijakusai View Post
          I'm not quite sure, but Funi released a bunch of blurays which were upscales when they were just starting to get on the BD bandwagon, so in those cases there might be a NA blu ray of an anime that wasn't released in Japan. Obviously, I wouldn't be interested in upscales on BD.

OVAs, in general, are not prioritized for BD releases. You have the IMPORTANT titles, like Megazone 23, or Bubblegum Crisis, but all those OTHER hundreds of OVAs that came and went probably won't ever see a BD release, and Japanese companies are fairly notorious for not preserving their masters for OVAs.

For Armitage III, I'm not exactly sure how "big" a hit it was. I certainly thought it was fairly "big" back when I was a teenager in the 90s. It was notable and it was quite well promoted when it came out, but it does not seem to be one of those OVAs on the level of a historically relevant enough one to warrant a BD release, at least not right now.

Comment

Originally posted by llj View Post
            For Armitage III, I'm not exactly sure how "big" a hit it was. It was notable and it was quite well promoted when it came out, but it does not seem to be one of those OVAs on the level of a historically relevant enough to warrant a BD release, at least not right now.

Plus you can get the edited and cropped Geneon movie version and the Dual Matrix sequel all in the one collection for the same price as the OVA's alone. You can check out my review on the Funi collection here on Amazon Canada. It's the top review.........

https://www.amazon.ca/Armitage-III-M...words=armitage

J. A.
            Currently Watching: Fairy Tail Coll. 4, Freezing, Digimon Frontier, Black Lagoon
            Just Finished: Battle Girls, Sailor Moon R-2, Sabagebu, Infinite Stratos 2
            Current Backlog: 38 Series: 22 Bricks/Lite boxes, 16 BD's/Combos
            Current Collection: 362 Series, plus: 70+ movies, 110+ OVA's, 30+ Singles

Comment

Originally posted by Otakufan View Post

Plus you can get the edited and cropped Geneon movie version and the Dual Matrix sequel all in the one collection for the same price as the OVA's alone. You can check out my review on the Funi collection here on Amazon Canada. It's the top review.........

https://www.amazon.ca/Armitage-III-M...words=armitage

J. A.
              How would you describe the video quality though? I've heard it's the same as the old Geneon release, but I don't know how good that was. When I look at the Funi website video samples, the video doesn't look great. I guess I shouldn't be picky given the price, though.

Comment

How would you describe the video quality though? I've heard it's the same as the old Geneon release, but I don't know how good that was. When I look at the Funi website video samples, the video doesn't look great. I guess I shouldn't be picky given the price, though.
                As far as I know Funi`s release is basically identical to the old Pioneer releases.

And of those releases, I'd say the original OVA was pretty good for it's time because well......, it was an OVA and Pioneer did among the best releases back then. But it is an older OVA so judge accordingly.

The movie was the best looking of them all but again, that didn't fully surprise as Pioneer intended it to be a top quality release and wouldn't have recruited Hollywood actors if they hadn't been confident in it's quality. It looks pretty darn good in standard definition. Which is even more amazing considering that it was cropped from the 4x3 OVA!

The sequel movie though was crap and a big disappointment video wise looking at times like a second generation VHS tape. Too bad as while the storyline wasn't great, it wasn't too bad either. But maybe that's the best they could get?

J. A.
                Currently Watching: Fairy Tail Coll. 4, Freezing, Digimon Frontier, Black Lagoon
                Just Finished: Battle Girls, Sailor Moon R-2, Sabagebu, Infinite Stratos 2
                Current Backlog: 38 Series: 22 Bricks/Lite boxes, 16 BD's/Combos
                Current Collection: 362 Series, plus: 70+ movies, 110+ OVA's, 30+ Singles

Comment

Thanks for the info, I bought the Funi set. The problem with the video (at least for the OVA and Poly Matrix) seems to be that it's from a very old composite master. It looks pretty crappy when upscaled on my blu-ray player, so I put it into a DVD player and watched it in 480p which looks a bit better.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                  Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                  Widgets Magazine
                  Working...
                  X