Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring 2016 Season Poll

Widgets Magazine
    So I wanted to try something different here which I might decide to do each season...or not, who knows. For the past few seasons I've really cut down on the number of shows I watched and usually waited till the tail end of the season to start (go binge watching).

I've put up a poll of the shows that interest me and which I'm willing to watch a few episodes to see if it's worth sticking with. Feel free to vote for however many shows you want and I'll start with the ones in the lead. Just a little fub poll to see what's popular here at TFP. If you want, you can comment on your choices, but it's not required.

Currently Watching:
    -My Hero Academia
    -Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World-
    Big Order (heard it's a train wreck, but hey it's only 10 episodes)
    3.23%
    Bungo Stray Dogs
    3.23%
    Flying Witch
    19.35%
    Joker Game
    9.68%
    Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress (AoT on trains!)
    12.90%
    Kiznaiver
    12.90%
    Macross Delta (stupid HG ain't keeping me from watching it)
    3.23%
    Magi: Adventure of Sinbad (definitely watching this once it's on Netflix)
    3.23%
    And you thought there is never a girl online?
    3.23%
    Haven't You Heard? I'm Sakamoto
    9.68%
    Tanaka-kun is Always Listless
    16.13%
    Other (feel free to convince me of any other show if you want)
    3.23%
    My Anime List
    Anime DVD/BD Collection

Re: Spring 2016 Season Poll

I'll just mention since I watched it, Bakuon, while it doesn't deserve to be on a Best Of Season list, was an okay watch despite it's mediocrity, encyclopedic bike facts and it's totally outta nowhere fanservice. It's not quite K-On with bikes but it's okay for anyone willing to give it the time. Also given how much they slagged off Suzuki on the show randomly I assumed the trade for that was for them to get the most fanservice character as they're representative in the series lol.
    Anime MAL/AP -- Collection Anime/Manga/Figures & General Merch -- YouTube Channel - Anime Pickups, Unboxings etc

Comment

To rule them all? Nah, Flying Witch to charm them all.

Comment

Of these shows, Kabaneri is the most recommended show. However, seeing that it is an Amazon exclusuve (and the show is going downhill after a strong first half) that I say go with Kiznaiver. The story is really something, especially when the truth behind the Kizna project is revealed. Definitely stay away from Big Order as that show gets really bad from the third episode on. I gave up on it after episode 3 and I'm glad I did.
        MyAnimeList | Avatar: Latina, If It's For My Daughter, I'd Even Defeat a Demon Lord
        Watching: Princess Principal, Darling in the FranXX, Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, Toonami Stuff
        Simulcasts: FTL, KYB, FRB, MIX, FIL, MTI, DUN, ALS, COP, DRS, IDD, FSN-LE, VLS, MMZ, GIV, HES, HDB, AKO, NHG, RST, SND, PKC
        The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

starting to like that joker game stuff

Comment

Flying Witch is sweet and charming, but Tanaka-kun is too, plus even more amusing. Both are good choices, but to me Tanaka-kun is more fresh and original. If you're suffering from Non Non Biyori withdrawal then Flying Witch get the win. Or: (littlegirl.jpg) "why not both?"

Comment

So I'm guessing you're excluding the 2 shows you're watching, and are looking for additional programming to view. Otherwise, Re:ZERO and it ain't even close.

Topping the shows I fell away from, but fully intend to binge: Flying Witch. This is just an adorable, easygoing show. Wagr's quote is pure brilliance.

Shows I didn't see, Tanaka-kun is one I want to check out.

As to what I did see:

Bakuon is goofy and charming, with completely over-the-top-yet-understated humor. This show was a lot of fun, and I'm glad I watched it. I disagree with any description of the show as "mediocre".

Hundred this is a very good show if you're just getting into anime. If you've watched anime for years, it's a fairly generic harem show with a good bit of harmless fan service, and while you've seen it done better, and much better, it wasn't too bad, with a reasonable rating range by veteran viewers of slightly below average to slightly above average. It did have some nice closing numbers, but the main villain's motivations at the end sucked. Oh, and it also showcased what has to be the most powerful minimizer bra in existence. I rate it slightly above average (the ending trended it downward for me), but I can't give it a recommendation to anyone else, given the vagaries of taste and experience. Still this had a decent cast, a decent MC, and a nice harem.

And you thought there is never a girl online?, however, is a show I do recommend, and enjoyed a lot. As an online gamer of many years, this show was a lot of fun. A surprising and increasing amount of girls do indeed game online, and this nice little series hit a lot points and common experiences for anyone who's gamed online.

Ace Attorney, Sakamoto and Cerberus are all shows I dropped. I could only stand one episode of Ace Attorney, the sheer stupidity of the prosecutors, police and judge were mind boggling. Far too faithful to the games, the result is a lesson on how not to adapt an anime. Sakamoto lasted 2 episodes. Not my cup of tea, the amazingness of Sakamoto was boring as hell after all to brief a period with all too many of the supporting players making Sakamoto look good by making them so dumb. Cerberus lasted the longest, lasting 5 episodes...and looking back, I'm amazed that I lasted that long, as it was one dumb and boring show. I blame my fandom of M.A.O.

Twin Star Exocists is my guilty pleasure of the season, or would be if I got more pleasure from this shonen entry. Most. Annoying. Mascot. Ever. (note: I said annoying, not evil or cruel). What's worse is the mascot is an anime creation who doesn't appear in the manga. This show tells the story of Rokuro, a 14-year old boy and former exorcist who runs into 14-year old girl superstar exorcist Benio, the up-and-coming young exorcist. naturally they clash, and even more naturally, discover that prophecy decrees that they are the Twin Star Exorcists, the pair fated to have their child be the high priest/priestess who will finally exorcise the demons known as kegare from the world. It's not without its problems starting with the damn mascot, and there are some episodes which are too filler, and there are too many resuded flashback scenes, but the heart of this story, as finally revealed, is pretty damn solid. Benio is just an awesome character (alas, the mother-f*cking mascot steals some of her awesomeness), while Rokuro's a pretty generic shonen hero-type, though his backstory alleviates that to a great extent. The show gets better as more backstory is revealed, with a pretty good episode to kick off the new season.

With its second season, Asterisk War is a pretty good show. I liked the first season better, with a great many things set up in this season for another season...which if it ever comes might improve this season. This show was compared often with the very similar on the surface, Chivalry of a Failed Knight, which was indeed the better of the two shows, but AW is a good show in its own right.

Kiznaiver: Visually amazing, it manages to both piss me off and tug at heart strings in the end. The notion of kidnapping 7 high school classmates, performing an operation on them to give them a device that shares all their pain, with the goal of getting them to reach telepathy...the sadism pissed me off, and the fact that it never really went there as to the immense potential for abuse by totalitarian regimes...it just makes me want to puke at the irresponsibility of it. Although I can never get past those impediments, following the story of the seven and their main contact with the project, Noriko, we end up with some great characters, real emotions, great music, the best OP of the season, and a whole lot of conflict about this show for me. The review just gave it an A-, and I have to disagree with that. This show is not a flawed masterpiece. It is a flawed very good show. Somewhere in the "B" range for me, but the flaws and concept and the irresponsibility of the show to ever address the evils of such a system...irritate me. Plus, as is typical of herbivore Japan, it didn't have the guts to fully explore the consequences of sharing all those emotions and feelings. Either that, or not one of those 7 masturbated all summer.

On the whole, a weak season, but there is worth to be found.
              My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
              1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
              2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
              3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

Update: Thanks for all the recommendations guys. I decided to watch Kabaneri which I found to be a really well done and tight story. Then I watched Bungo Stray Dogs which just didn't click with me so I dropped it after an episode. Finally, I just finished Tanaka-kun two days ago and it was hilarious throughout. Waiting on Sinbad to hit Netflix and figured I'd hold off watching Macross Delta till it's close to finishing so I can marathon it. Sadly, decided skip the rest of the shows.

Watched Spring 2016:
                -Bungo Stray Dogs (dropped 1 ep in)
                -Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress
                -Macross Delta (will marathon once it's complete)
                -Magi: Adventure of Sinbad (once it releases on Netflix)
                -My Hero Academia
                -Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World-
                My Anime List
                Anime DVD/BD Collection

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                Widgets Magazine
                Working...