Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinion: Best Slayers Seasons?

Widgets Magazine
    Having recently started watching Slayers Revolution, I found myself recollecting the past three Slayers seasons and comparing them. To me, this is where they stand.

Slayers NEXT -- This is probably the best of the original three. The climactic episodes seal the deal, but the humorous filler is hysterical without being overly goofy. Bits like Lina and company singing(!), participating in a racket match, dressing as dolls, and Martina all make this a winner. Plus, Gaav, Kanzel, and Phibrizzo all make splendid villains.

Slayers -- The second best, IMO. It starts off on the sketchy side, but it gradually gets better as it goes on, particularly hitting its stride when Lina, Gourry, and Amelia get involved in a wedding mixup, put a show, and cross-dress. ("Oh DAARLING! I've got your LUUUUUNNNCH!")

Slayers TRY -- To me, the weakest of the three. Although Filia and Valgaav are nice additions, the storyline isn't as interesting, and the filler episodes begin to run dry. The final episode is a winner, as are the midpoint episodes, but otherwise it's my least favorite.

As for where Revolution stands… currently it stands between TRY and the original. I do think the comedy and goofiness is cranked up to the nth degree, to the point where it feels the creators are trying too hard. Lina, especially, comes across as more abrasive and aggressive than usual. The situations for the filler episodes also border on implausible; granted, Slayers is known for absurdity, but I think they go overboard in the beginning episodes. I did detect something of an improvement in the fifth and sixth episodes (the ball-rolling episode was funny, but also goofy), but as of now, I'm not sure WHERE it stands. I haven't viewed Evolution-R yet.

Re: Opinion: Best Slayers Seasons?

NEXT and the Movies/OVAs were my favorites. The series was one of the first I made an effort to get into many, many years back. NEXT had the best pacing, and the most fun and interesting story. The Movies/OVAs were just a blast (especially Slayers Great), and Naga is one of the most hilarious anime characters ever. The first Slayers season didn't get good until the end. The first half is REALLY slow, almost a chore to watch, and was only sometimes funny. It's also got really terrible animation. I haven't watched much of TRY, even though I've owned it on DVD for about 7 years, same with Revolution/Evolution-R. I've been meaning to give the franchise another watch for nostalgia's sake, and hopefully complete it this time.
    Last edited by PurpleWarrior13; 05-28-2016, 04:09 AM.
    Avatar: Ryoga Hibiki from Ranma 1/2

Comment

I'm afraid to view the Movies/OVAs partially because I can't imagine Lina voiced by anyone else except Lisa. She really made the part her own and then some.

Comment

Yeah, but the Movies/OVAs are enjoyable on their own merits, and I highly recommend giving them a shot. Plus Cynthia does an excellent and memorable job too. She's technically voicing a younger Lina, and the change in voice makes some sense. It's only jarring in the Slayers Premium short film, which isn't a prequel, and recasts Gourry, Xellos, and Amelia too. On the voice side of things, Kelly Manison as Naga makes it all worth it.
        Avatar: Ryoga Hibiki from Ranma 1/2

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleWarrior13 View Post
          Yeah, but the Movies/OVAs are enjoyable on their own merits, and I highly recommend giving them a shot. Plus Cynthia does an excellent and memorable job too. She's technically voicing a younger Lina, and the change in voice makes some sense. It's only jarring in the Slayers Premium short film, which isn't a prequel, and recasts Gourry, Xellos, and Amelia too. On the voice side of things, Kelly Manison as Naga makes it all worth it.
          Yeah, try to embrace Cynthia Martinez's Lina as well, JT. She's just as fun, and is perfectly fitting for the character, full of the same wry enthusiasm that Ortiz made a trademark of for Lina. Ortiz is still the default for me, too, if simply because she has more content overall, but I have to remind myself that I heard Martinez's take right after I watched the first TV season, in 1998, when the second half of the first season was released; ADV's release of the first movie came out in August of that year. (Martinez, in other words, had been dubbing Slayers for as long as all but Ortiz and Eric Stuart.) There's some fun stuff in some of the movies and OVAs, though the first is probably still the best. And, yes, Kelly Manison's Naga is not to be passed up.
          Avatar: Tsumugi, Sweetness & Lightning
          Moderation: General Anime; English Track; Movie; TV | TFP Forum Rules
          Please Support The Fandom Post

Comment

I've got the first three seasons of Slayers in my permanent collection and they seem about the same overall to me with the exception of the first ten episodes or so of that Red Priest(?) arc at the beginning of the first season which I found too slow and ponderous. But after that all three seemed to be a nice blend of comedy and action. Never did bother to pick up the later seasons though as by that point I was pretty much Slayered out!

I also liked the complete OVA Collection from ADV. Naga was a hoot. But for some reason I like the first disc (Book of Spells) much more than the second disc (Excellent) but I can't remember why.

In addition at one time or another I've watched all the movies but never had a desire to keep them. Maybe they were just too much Slayers at one time?

J. A.
            Currently Watching: Fairy Tail Coll. 4, Freezing, Digimon Frontier, Black Lagoon
            Just Finished: Battle Girls, Sailor Moon R-2, Sabagebu, Infinite Stratos 2
            Current Backlog: 38 Series: 22 Bricks/Lite boxes, 16 BD's/Combos
            Current Collection: 362 Series, plus: 70+ movies, 110+ OVA's, 30+ Singles

Comment

I'm surprised to see so much hate for the first half of season one; it's the only part of the TV series I thoroughly enjoy. I also enjoy the OVAs and movies pretty well.

Comment

You're not alone, I also love the first half of the first season of Slayers. Considering the first book in the series is my favorite, it's not hard to see why, though. The summoning of Shabranigdo still gives me chills.
                "The woman I love burns with jealousy, leaps to conclusions, cries, and turns to ice, but when she laughs, the world is mine." - Yusaku Godai from Maison Ikkoku

Comment

I'm definitely a fan of the novels, which may play a part in why I'm not very crazy about the rest of the TV series.

Like you, my favorite is the first. I couldn't wait to read 9-15 when I found out fan translations were available, but I found them pretty disappointing.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                  Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                  Widgets Magazine
                  Working...
                  X