Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• June 1st Hulu Purge Recommendations

Widgets Magazine
    So we have a week until Hulu purges some truly phenomenal series from its library - possibly for good - and I wanted to start a thread to discuss your MUST SEE recommendations for shows departing June 1 from Hulu.

Full list of shows being removed here: http://www.fandompost.com/oldforums/...ist-v2/page138

I'm currently powering through (and enjoying) Ground Control to Psychoelectric Girl. What should I and other FandomPosters make sure we catch while we still can?

Re: June 1st Hulu Purge Recommendations

Definitely check out the Monogatari series (start with Bakemonogatari). It's not everyone's cup of tea due to its rather unique style and execution but it's still worth trying out and the first arc is only 2 episodes long.
    Star Driver is great if you want a fun mecha series.
    Oreimo Season 1 is a fun comedic series with lots of otaku elements (the incest angle doesn't really become a thing until Season 2. Season 1 is mostly clean of that so you can stop at the end of S1 if you want to avoid that).
    Haven't seen Mushi-shi -Next Passage-, but if it's on par with the first Mushishi series then you're in for a treat. Mushishi is slow-paced but has really great stories and artwork.
    I've yet to check out a ton of Lupin the 3rd series/movies (I will rectify that eventually), but The Castle of Cagliostro is a fantastic action/adventure movie with the Lupin cast (and don't worry, Lupin doesn't really require starting with any specific series or movie).
    Avatar: Sena Kashiwazaki from Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai/Haganai: I Don't Have Many Friends
    Currently Watching: Bakemonogatari, Beyond the Boundary
    My anime collection: http://doctordoom85.filmaf.com/owned/anime
    My figure collection: http://myfigurecollection.net/profile/Doom85

Comment

First of all, the Aniplex shows and a good number of TMS shows will still be available to watch on Crunchyroll from all indications, so I'll focus on recommendations for shows that are expiring that are only on Hulu.

Saber Marionette J is a really fun comedy at the start before moving into more serious stuff that makes for a show that has lots of things I typically like to see. The comedy is really hilarious, but at the same time there's a very nice story that does a great job in developing all of the important characters to a sufficient level. It's alright to stop at J as J Again is more of a side story, and J to X spends too much time on one thing that got me jaded in the middle of the series.

Tsukikage Ran is another show I recommend for the crazy antics of the two main characters. This show is episodic with each having a stand-alone story, so if you don't finish it, it's not a big problem. Nevertheless, it's an amusing show with some funny jokes like the 9-mon sake and stuff.

Simoun is what I'm watching right now, and after a slow opening, the show really picks up.

Just about any Lupin would be great, but if you only could see one thing related to Lupin, it would be Castle of Cagliostro as this is what got Hayao Miyazaki into the spotlight and on his way to becoming a legend. And this is a stand-alone story that doesn't require seeing anything beforehand.

As for the Aniplex stuff, I say hold off on that stuff since CR will have it, but of those listed, I would recommend the Monogatari series, R.O.D., Saekano, and Silver Spoon.
      MyAnimeList | Avatar: Nanako Yukishiro, Senryu Girl
      Watching: Ingress, Ancient Magus' Bride, Pokemon Sun and Moon, Toonami Stuff
      Simulcasts: FTL, DRO, CQK, RSH, AOT, BSD, FRB, OPM, KYB, FGN, SKS, MLA, SMT, HBS, KOT, MIX, WNL, KMA, FIL, IDM, ISQ, SRG, STW
      The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

I'll just list some of my favorites from the list that I'd definitely recommend.

NIS America
        Anohana
        Bunny Drop
        Kimi ni Todoke (seems this one was renewed till 2020 luckily)
        Nagi no Asakura

Aniplex (both also streaming on CR)
        Blast of Tempest
        Silver Spoon

Bandai
        True Tears
        Last edited by Chisel; 05-26-2016, 07:31 PM.
        My Anime List
        Anime DVD/BD Collection

Comment

Originally posted by Chisel View Post
          I'll just list some of my favorites from the list that I'd definitely recommend.

Sentai
          Anohana
          Bunny Drop
          Nagi no Asakura

Blast of Tempest
          Silver Spoon

Bandai
          True Tears
          Wait A Minute.... You Made A Mistake.
          Anohana, Bunny Drop, Kimi Ni Todoke And Nagi no Asakura Are NIS AMERICA Titles, Not Sentai Filmworks.
          BAGEL AND BECKY ARE THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bob The Lover View Post

Sentai
            Anohana
            Bunny Drop
            Nagi no Asakura

Blast of Tempest
            Silver Spoon

Bandai
            True Tears
            Wait A Minute.... You Made A Mistake.
            Anohana, Bunny Drop, Kimi Ni Todoke And Nagi no Asakura Are NIS AMERICA Titles, Not Sentai Filmworks.
            Whoops. My mistake, didn't notice that. Guess that's what I get for posting that late.
            My Anime List
            Anime DVD/BD Collection

Comment

NIS America
              Anohana
              Bunny Drop
              Nagi no Asakura

Blast of Tempest
              Silver Spoon

Bandai
              True Tears
              With practically every anime show expiring on Hulu now, I'll add some more shows to the recommendations list. Just ones not streaming elsewhere (so no Funi/Sentai titles).

Anime Network
              Rahxephon (didn't even know this was streaming definitely recommended)

Viz Media
              Death Note EspaƱol (lol cause you can never rewatch this show enough in any number of languages)
              My Anime List
              Anime DVD/BD Collection

Comment

Anime Network
                Rahxephon (didn't even know this was streaming definitely recommended)
                Second! I love Rahxephon (opening). Its in the same genre as Evangelion, with an even more convoluted plot line (definitely need to pay attention, or you'll miss a lot). Its also a very pretty series, and - once you get passed the first episode - its a very polished storyline.

Noir (trailer) is also excellent. The first of Bee Train's "girls with guns" trilogy (along with Madlax and El Cazador de le Bruja) and - arguably - the best. A film noir series, in the vein of La Femme Nikita and The Professional, it features an elegant French assassin and an amnesiac Japanese girl as they hunt for the secrets of their past.

The name comes from an (in-series) legend, about a pair of unstoppable female assassins who killed in the name of Heaven. And some of the fight scenes are just incredible - the Japanese girl has a real gift for improvised combat.

Rahxephon and Noir (along with Full Metal Panic) were going to be ADV's foothold in the (then new) Blu-ray market, and were very well thought of at the time. Definitely worth a look, if you've never seen them.

Personally, I can also recommend Pretear (magical girl take on Snow White/Cinderella), Mythical Detective Loki Ragnarok (Clamp knock-off), and Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040. They have issues, but were fun to watch.

Edit: Oh, and if you liked Pacific Rim, take a look at Godannar (opening). Pacific Rim was heavily, heavily influenced by Godannar
                Last edited by One Vorlon; 05-27-2016, 11:12 AM.
                "The roaring of lions, the howling of wolves, the raging of the stormy sea, and the destructive sword, are portions of eternity too great for the eye of man."

-William Blake, "The Marriage of Heaven and Hell"

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                Widgets Magazine
                Working...
                X