Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traditional Japanese Culture?

Widgets Magazine
    Can anyone recommend a series/ova/movie that does a good job showcasing traditional Japanese culture?
    "The roaring of lions, the howling of wolves, the raging of the stormy sea, and the destructive sword, are portions of eternity too great for the eye of man."

-William Blake, "The Marriage of Heaven and Hell"

Re: Traditional Japanese Culture?

Chihayafuru is all about the Japanese card game of karuta. Should still be on Crunchyroll, DVDs available on import from Australia, Season 1 PAL, Season 2 NTSC

Comment

House of Five Leaves and Carried by the Wind are both shows that take the era's alittle bit more seriously than some other shows that are set in similar time periods. They both also avoid anything too fantastical as well from what I can recall. Carried by the Wind is quite comedic though.

Moribito Guardian of the Spirit is quite fantastical throughout but it also does a good job representing it's world which is a fantasy mashup of China and Japan.

If you want a show that does a good job representing a subject that's very Japanese (although of Chinese origin) then the game of 'Go' from Hikaru No Go is pretty great. Viz dubbed the whole thing and it's out there if you know where to look
      Anime MAL/AP -- Collection Anime/Manga/Figures & General Merch -- YouTube Channel - Anime Pickups, Unboxings etc

Comment

I have not watched all of it but from the first season I thought Ai Yori Aoshi did a good job of showing interaction between traditional and non-traditional Japanese culture in the Modern World. Very comedic and would require discussion to highlight the culture aspect (is this for a class you are teaching or for you) and separate from anime trope. KamiChu showed some aspects of Shinto that I didn't realize (there is a God of swimboards really?) but again very comedic and anime trope. More importantly your probably know and have watched both of these already ...
        There is no coincidence only inevitability

Comment

Originally posted by zaldar View Post
          (. . .) is this for a class you are teaching or for you
          Its for me. Recently, I've been watching a lot of space opera and high fantasy-type stuff recently, and I'm looking for some a bit more grounded in reality (at least for a bit).
          "The roaring of lions, the howling of wolves, the raging of the stormy sea, and the destructive sword, are portions of eternity too great for the eye of man."

-William Blake, "The Marriage of Heaven and Hell"

Comment

Widgets Magazine
          Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
          Widgets Magazine
          Working...
          X