Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fate franchise order?

Widgets Magazine
    I want to introduce the Fate franchise to my cousin. He's a casual anime viewer and has a few shows under his belt already mostly from recommendations from me and some other friends. My question is what order should he watch the shows. Start with Fate/Zero and then Fate/stay night UBW? What about Deen's adaptation from 2006 and UBW movie? I'm concerned that if he just watches the ufotable adaptations in that order he wouldn't get the full experience since imo UBW really feels that much better after going through the Fate route and seeing all the differences. But then I wouldn't want to recommend him to watch the subpar (to put it nicely) adaptation by Deen. Also I've thrown out the option of showing UBW before F/Z even though that's how the original was since ufotable's UBW adaptation is clearly a sequel story to F/Z with parts that would be weird and/or make no sense without prior knowledge of F/Z.

Ideally, I know that the original visual novel would be the best way to start with the fate route, then F/Z, and finally UBW. Sadly I doubt he would be up to playing the game (if only they localized the Vita ports then he'd definitely check them out). I see that I'm starting to ramble, lol sorry. Maybe my best bet is to just hold off and hope ufotable decides to do an adaptation of the Fate route down the line eventually. Heck I might have just answered my own question there. Still, any comments or suggestions are still welcome.

Here's his MAL again for reference if anyone wants to throw out any other recommendations. Thanks!
    My Anime List
    Anime DVD/BD Collection

Re: Fate franchise order?

Have him watch the 2006 version first. That is basically an adaptation of the Fate route. Then Fate/Zero(which is a prequel to all three routes in Fate/Stay Night). Then Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works(TV). The DEEN movie can be skipped or watched instead if you want a compressed version of what happens in the Unlimited Blade Works route. The Heaven's Feel movie trilogy should complete the experience.

Comment

Yeah start with F/SN '06 because it adds world building/character introductions that make F/Z all the better then F/Z then F/SN UBW TV since as OP mentioned it has scenes/elements from F/Z that make it feel more like a sequel to it. F/SN UBW Movie is skip-able if you go the TV route.
      My Anime List
      YouTube <- I do collection Videos
      Avatar: from BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad

Comment

Agreed with AbZeroNow and Rhys2753.

To put it another way, which goes for sprawling franchises in general I'd say, we're all basically recommending to watch everything in the order it appeared originally, and you can of course find those dates any number of places just to verify, though that is the order that's been mentioned here. Whether connected or not, or intentionally or not, early iterations tend to inform later ones, so as long as someone is on board with multiple installments, then that's the way to go.

Now, whether or not you want to also throw in Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya, well...
        asa --> S^2 --> Hayate
        Avatar: Lind, Valkyrie, Goddess First-Class Special Duty Unlimited, from "Aa, Megami-sama: Hunters & Hunters"
        Moderator: US, JP, GA, RC, GD, CA, S/T, OT, MB

Comment

Originally posted by Hayate Kurogane View Post
          Now, whether or not you want to also throw in Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya, well...
          For the OCD completionist who must see everything, my advice on that score would be to adhere to the creation date order thing already suggested by all above, though it really only matters in one respect: watch Prisma Illya sometime before the end of FSNUBW TV, so that the Epilogue to the UBW series, its setting and new characters, will make quite a bit more sense, even if with general Fate knowledge at this point you would not be lost at sea as to what is happening there.
          Avatar: Craft Lawrence from Spice and Wolf.
          Scratchy for Tama is angry.
          Casually Reviewing: ???

Comment

Personally, I'd watch Fate/Zero and then stop watching. Nothing else compares to that, not even the recent Unlimited Blade Works.

Comment

Originally posted by Just Passing Through View Post
              Personally, I'd watch Fate/Zero and then stop watching. Nothing else compares to that, not even the recent Unlimited Blade Works.
              I've not completed anything past Stay/Night but I have to agree. Not a fan of Stay/Night at all and from what I've seen of Zero it's far and away a much better series.
              Anime MAL/AP -- Collection Anime/Manga/Figures & General Merch -- YouTube Channel - Anime Pickups, Unboxings etc

Comment

(Lunar Legend) Tsukihime (opening) is set in the same world, too

Originally posted by Rightstuf
                Shiki Tohno has a secret. As the result of a childhood injury, he can see the lines of energy that bind all things together... and by severing those lines he can destroy almost anything! Only a special pair of glasses that mute his extraordinary perceptions has kept him sane, but his attempts at living a "normal" life come to a shocking end when he is approached by a strange and dangerous woman with her own terrifying secret.

Now, Shiki is fighting both for his life and to unravel the secrets of his own past; for even with a mysterious female vampire as an ally, how can anyone defeat an enemy whose power is to always be reborn?
                "The roaring of lions, the howling of wolves, the raging of the stormy sea, and the destructive sword, are portions of eternity too great for the eye of man."

-William Blake, "The Marriage of Heaven and Hell"

Comment

Originally posted by One Vorlon View Post
                  (Lunar Legend) Tsukihime (opening) is set in the same world, too

Originally posted by Rightstuf
                  Shiki Tohno has a secret. As the result of a childhood injury, he can see the lines of energy that bind all things together... and by severing those lines he can destroy almost anything! Only a special pair of glasses that mute his extraordinary perceptions has kept him sane, but his attempts at living a "normal" life come to a shocking end when he is approached by a strange and dangerous woman with her own terrifying secret.

Now, Shiki is fighting both for his life and to unravel the secrets of his own past; for even with a mysterious female vampire as an ally, how can anyone defeat an enemy whose power is to always be reborn?
                  Well, if you're going to go down that road, then the Kara no Kyoukai/Garden of Sinners film series is also connected. And then there are things like Canaan, and Carnival Phantasm, and Fate/Prototype. And then we start drifting out of the anime realm into things like Melty Blood and all the various VNs and games and manga and novels and so on, some of which are simply alternate iterations of one another. And then...

...we quickly get to the point where one has to step back and draw the line, or at least create various delineations so as to not go crazy and broke. The OP, in asking about the Fate franchise, should be all set, with the information provided in the first four replies in the thread, in eventual addition to the recently-announced Fate/Extra: Last Encore TV series set for 2017. Potential additional viewing, based on current domestic availability, can then also include Tsukihime, Canaan, and Garden of Sinners, as far as anime titles whose source material originated from the same creatives but which should be noted as not existing in continuity with any of the Fate anime installments as such canon connections exist purely in terms of the source material for those titles. All the rest of the TYPE-MOON insanity is import-only and Japanese-only, so at least that creates something of a forced stopping point. Unless Chisel's cousin gets hooked on the Nasu-verse and understands Japanese, that is.
                  asa --> S^2 --> Hayate
                  Avatar: Lind, Valkyrie, Goddess First-Class Special Duty Unlimited, from "Aa, Megami-sama: Hunters & Hunters"
                  Moderator: US, JP, GA, RC, GD, CA, S/T, OT, MB

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                  Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                  Widgets Magazine
                  Working...
                  X