Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recs for Skip Beat?

Widgets Magazine
    Any thoughts on Skip Beat? Strengths, weaknesses, cool ideas? The kickstarter campaign has me curious.

Originally posted by Kickstarter
    The story is driven by Kyoko discovering her true love – but we’re not talking about a boilerplate romance. Kyoko's pride comes first! Crushed after being used as a stepping stone by her pop star friend Sho, she decides to seek revenge by joining show business! The guys in her life trigger blasts of Kyoko’s anger…

...and occasional moments of inspiration…

Even as Kyoko's romance with Ren, a beloved actor, blossoms, she’s ultimately pursuing her own dreams: Honing her craft as an actress…

...Going to high school, (almost) like an ordinary girl…

…And having a best friend. (Really, they get along great.)
    "The roaring of lions, the howling of wolves, the raging of the stormy sea, and the destructive sword, are portions of eternity too great for the eye of man."

-William Blake, "The Marriage of Heaven and Hell"

Re: Recs for Skip Beat?

Well, it's one of the most popular shoujo titles of all time - but, even being shoujo, I as a middle-aged male really enjoyed the series - and I'm usually not one that even likes much comedy in my anime. My only complaint about the series is it's typical anime open ending, but overall it was really good...

The Kickstarter does need some help yet getting to the funding goal - because of the strict requirement by the Japanese licensor that a dub must be produced in order for them to allow release in North America, This Kickstarter is pretty much a last hope to get it made - if the Kickstarter fails to get funded, most likely there will never be a North American release for Skip Beat! at all...
    Last edited by t-Roy; 04-05-2016, 08:36 AM.

Comment

Re: Recs for Skip Beat?

So is it a high-energy, over-the-top comedic title? Or does Skip Beat go for a calmer, more serious tone?

Originally posted by t-Roy View Post
      (. . .)

The Kickstarter does need some help yet getting to the funding goal - because of the strict requirement by the Japanese licensor that a dub must be produced in order for them to allow release in North America, This Kickstarter is pretty much a last hope to get it made - if the Kickstarter fails to get funded, most likely there will never be a North American release for Skip Beat! at all...
      Well, they hit their target yesterday, and are now working on additional funding for a Blu-ray release. So it looks like Skip Beat will see at least a dvd release in the U.S.

(Barring any unexpected problems, of course)
      "The roaring of lions, the howling of wolves, the raging of the stormy sea, and the destructive sword, are portions of eternity too great for the eye of man."

-William Blake, "The Marriage of Heaven and Hell"

Comment

Widgets Magazine
      Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
      Widgets Magazine
      Working...
      X