Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chevalier d'Eon?

Widgets Magazine
    Chevalier d'Eon (trailer) has been sitting, unopened, on my shelf for . . . two (three?) years. I need a kick in the pants (figuratively speaking, of course ). Please sell me on why I should rip off the shrinkwrap and finally watch it.
    "The roaring of lions, the howling of wolves, the raging of the stormy sea, and the destructive sword, are portions of eternity too great for the eye of man."

-William Blake, "The Marriage of Heaven and Hell"

Re: Chevalier d'Eon?

I finished watching this series about 2 months ago, and this series is a personal favourite of mine.
    Pro's:
    - Main characters are adults (beside Robin), so no winey/angst teenagers
    - Fantastic sword vs. sword scenes
    - Strong developed characters/cast
    - Unique setting (takes place in Russia, France and England)
    - Nice frilly clothes of that era
    - Unique character design
    - Above average dialogue dense show
    - Good OP+ED Themes
    - Mature characters
    Cons:
    - Character designs go off model some time (not many times)
    - Light/small fan-service in the series

Comment

Just watch the first episode. It is a great intro into what the show will be like. If you like that episode you will probably like the show. Just remember that this series goes into some very dark places and not everyone makes it back out alive or unscarred. Also it has a good English dub.

Comment

I remember being disappointed in the series. It's plot is something I should have loved but I felt while the show looks beautiful it's story falls short more often than not.

It's a stylish series with a great idea but is executed in an average way. Worth trying but expectations should be measured.
        Anime MAL/AP -- Collection Anime/Manga/Figures & General Merch -- YouTube Channel - Anime Pickups, Unboxings etc

Comment

I thought this was a pretty great show. Just watch the first 2 episodes and you should be hooked (extraordinary sword fighting animation in those episodes). I remember it drags a little bit in the last third but it had a satisfying ending and I found the characters likable. There is a lot of well written serious dialogue (if you can get past the fact that the plot is basically about fighting mercury-filled zombies and post-medieval sorcerers using Psalms from the Bible as magic spells). Features probably the only good Steven Foster dub in existence.

Originally posted by ibby View Post
          - Main characters are adults (beside Robin), so no winey/angst teenagers
          Heh... d'Eon starts out a little winey/angsty. "I have nothing! I've lost everything!!"

Comment

I've got the original singles and the gorgeous box they came in. So I'll give it a go.........

First off it's a great looking show with a high animation budget. Very good soundtrack as well and a very good dub.

As for the storyline; it's pretty far out there but no more so than a lot of anime but it's very dark and very serious. This is definitely no comedy folks. But if you can accept the obvious fantasy parts with zombies and dark magic, the actual world and the historical events surrounding it are actually quite accurate!

While about a third of the characters are made up; the rest of the major characters really are the real characters who lived at that time and most of their characteristics and events did actually happen! So the King's mistress really did have a powerful presence, the Empress of Russia really did overthrow her husband, the drunk really was a drunk, etc., etc. And the Chevalier himself did actually exist and yes he was notorious for dressing as a woman from time to time. The more you know about European history; the more intriguing it becomes as you watch how they weave fantasy and real history together!

There's the usual sword fighting, etc. and lots of mysterious dark magic type intrigue but it's more about the unravelling mystery than the action parts so if you go into it expecting Errol Flynn you're going to be disappointed. Maybe the best way to describe it would be a combination of the Three Musketeers with Noir plus a dash of Moribito. I quite liked it but not everybody will.

J. A.
            Currently Watching: Fairy Tail Coll. 4, Freezing, Digimon Frontier, Black Lagoon
            Just Finished: Battle Girls, Sailor Moon R-2, Sabagebu, Infinite Stratos 2
            Current Backlog: 38 Series: 22 Bricks/Lite boxes, 16 BD's/Combos
            Current Collection: 362 Series, plus: 70+ movies, 110+ OVA's, 30+ Singles

Comment

Most of what should be said has been said I will only echo that as I know you like more mature thought provoking shows this is one I expect you will like. It certainly has its non historical fantastical parts but it made me think about French history in ways I had not before and yes many of the characters including the chevalier himself are based on real people. I will even watch it again with you if you like. I own a copy and would love to discuss it with people.
              There is no coincidence only inevitability

Comment

Widgets Magazine
              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
              Widgets Magazine
              Working...
              X