Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LOGH Classic worth the money or not?

Widgets Magazine
    Hi All, I have seen this series once, and enjoyed it, but it was a little slow in parts. This post is to convince me to buy it when Sentai Film Works puts it out? I know their are movie versions not released by Sentai which I haven't seen, but I tend to like shows with adults in them, and other question I have about the release will it have the original Laser disc footage in it, or will it have it have some new animation in it? I like the series, but what's holding me back to buy the series is the length of it is the re-watchability of the series. To me this series is a 50% buy and a 50% not to me, so I'm really stuck. I like space opera like Macross and Yamato (classic) and Crest of the Stars and even own a rare Legend of Galactic Heroes guide book (which I bought from ebay many years ago, which has lineart of the main large cast and summery's of each episode and behind the scenes stuff with the production people) but still am tore. I don't like wasting money, so I'd thought I throw this question out their. Thanks for any help you can provide!
    Last edited by ibby; 10-15-2015, 04:55 AM.

Re: LOGH Classic worth the money or not?

Even though I plan on absolutly buying this, I think it's still a bit to early to answer your questions, unless someones heard something from a Sentai Industry Panel / Report that I might have missed (and I miss things, even though I frequent ANN atleast twice a day, I only browse this forum twice a week, and this forum is by far very informative)....
    Space, The Final Frontier, These Are The Voyages Of The Starship Enterprise, On It's Five Year Mission, To Explore Strange New Worlds, Seek Out New Life, And New Civilizations, To Boldly Go Where No Man Has Gone Before...

Comment

Well given you have seen it already, I would say you are the best one to answer that question.

As for quality, as M-J puts it, too early to tell. That said however the series does suffer from very variable quality as some of the episodes were stored better than others, and original masters are not available these days for all episodes. Those episodes with the original footage though are great.

Comment

Also would like to ask whether this show is worth getting. Seeing all the crazy amounts of praise for it and tried out a few episodes to see for myself. Watched the first 10 episodes and found it ridiculously slow for my tastes. Wondering if it ever picks up or maybe it just isn't my type of show.
        My Anime List
        Anime DVD/BD Collection

Comment

Even though I started this topic, I'll reply to Chisel's question. The series IMO doesn't pick up till the end of season one, which I believe is like 24 or 25 or 26 episodes long. The series is 110 episodes long, but when I watched this series several years ago, I personally found it hard to relate to any of the characters, as all the characters IMO where all intelligent. Personally I really didn't really care for which side won (of the major 2 sides) or cheer for (unlike in Gundam, where everyone loves to cheer for Char and Zeon), but while watching the series, I can say that the script is tight, and that the cast deals with mainly adults, and the characters that survive till the end of the series, their character design's change as they get older. I will likely bite if Sentai release the series with a CE (Collectors Edition) release, otherwise I will wait and see if Production's I.G 2017 remake will be on par or even better then this version of L.O.T.G.H. There is no news from Sentai Film Works when L.O.T.G.H. will be released, but I bet they would have their eye on the 2017 remake series also.

Comment

Personally I found the series enjoyable, but not the pinnacle par excellence some seem to make out. It does have the distinguishment of having no competition quite like it though. So it is certainly top within its category of one.

That said there were a bit too much in the way of logical flaws and a bit of nonsense, for me to say the show was stellar. I am less forgiving of such things in such shows as this, which are essentially selling themselves as deadly serious military stories.

As for whether it "picks up" I would say that within 10 episodes you know what you're in for. It is definitely a slow-burn type of show. I wouldn't ever say the story goes fast, it just gets more involved. Mainly from the aspect of remembering the allegiances and alliances all going on, and the large cast of characters. So I would say more than likely it isn't your type of show if you're struggling after 10.

Comment

Thanks for all the responses, after re-watching this series again, I again have fallen in love with this space opera, and will get it when Sentai Film Works release it.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
              Widgets Magazine
              Working...
              X