Widgets Magazine

Michiko & Hatchin - Worth a Second Look?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michiko & Hatchin - Worth a Second Look?

Widgets Magazine
    Back when it debuted, I started watching Michiko & Hatchin on Adult Swim/Toonami. But somewhere, after the first three or four episodes, I just lost interest. Now that they're having a marathon, is it worth a second look? And does it ever become more than just a woman and a little girl looking for their ex-boyfriend/father in a vaguely Latin American setting?
    "The roaring of lions, the howling of wolves, the raging of the stormy sea, and the destructive sword, are portions of eternity too great for the eye of man."

-William Blake, "The Marriage of Heaven and Hell"

Re: Michiko & Hatchin - Worth a Second Look?

I loved this show. It really seemed like it could've taken place in the same world as Black Lagoon (although of course the characters it follows are very different). I don't know if I can say it really ever becomes more than it is in the first few episodes. If you didn't like the beginning, you probably won't like the rest either.

Comment

Originally posted by One Vorlon View Post
      Back when it debuted, I started watching Michiko & Hatchin on Adult Swim/Toonami. But somewhere, after the first three or four episodes, I just lost interest. Now that they're having a marathon, is it worth a second look? And does it ever become more than just a woman and a little girl looking for their ex-boyfriend/father in a vaguely Latin American setting?
      Part of it is that, plus them being pursued by folk with various levels of ill-intent (from toss-back-in-prison to die painfully). Set against a background of gangland violence as various factions struggle for overall control (both girlfriend/boyfriend have significant gang ties in their past). Turn over rocks when looking for something, find nasty critters underneath.

Setting appears to be Brazil/Peru with the serial numbers filed off (both countries have large Japanese descended populations).

I liked the show's energy and story telling, but it is a road trip style of show.

I don't remember at what point the the darker elements start showing up, so I don't know if you have already seen some of that. If you have and they didn't engage you then the entire show is probably not for you.

Comment

If the initial hook isn't enough for you, then it isn't for you. You have to like these kind of road stories to dig Michiko and Hatchin. I love movies like Paris, Texas and Thelma and Louise so I was predisposed to like this.

Comment

Originally posted by llj View Post
          I love movies like Paris, Texas and Thelma and Louise
          That's an incongruous combination, for road movies, yet I think you may have struck on a recipe that explains M&H pretty well; throw in True Romance for the crime/police drama angle, and I think you got it.
          Avatar: Tsumugi, Sweetness & Lightning
          TFP Forum Rules

Comment

I'd have to say no. To me at first it was Cowboy Bebop done differently and in a way that i actually liked (where I didn't really give a damn about Bebop at all and dropped it). Michiko and Hatchin, honestly I thought the first half was pretty decent with a solid starting episode on the second half, but after that it all falls apart. I'd say it's not really worth a second look as the story and side stories get worse and really lead to an unsatisfying end, especially since now that you really have no interest in it really.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
            Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
            Widgets Magazine
            Working...
            X