Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simoun: sell me or scare me

Widgets Magazine
    How is Simoun (trailer)? Strengths, weaknesses? Any interesting ideas?

Originally posted by Amazon.com
    In the peaceful theocracy of Simulacrum, everyone is born female. At age 17, each maiden undergoes a special ceremony where she chooses her sex. However, only Pairs of maiden priestesses can synchronize with the ancient flying ships known as Simoun needed to defend Simulicram. These Pairs refrain from undergoing the ceremony as long as they wish to keep piloting their Simoun. Aeru is recruited to be a Simoun pilot after a terrifying attack by an enemy nation decimates the squadron known as Chor Tempest. To earn her wings she needs to find her way into the heart of Neviril, Regina of Chor Tempest. But Neviril s heart still belongs to her previous Pair, lost in the battle when she attempted a forbidden Simoun maneuver.
    And is there a romantic component? Or is it purely a mecha action-adventure?
    "The roaring of lions, the howling of wolves, the raging of the stormy sea, and the destructive sword, are portions of eternity too great for the eye of man."

-William Blake, "The Marriage of Heaven and Hell"

Re: Simoun: sell me or scare me

It is probably the most girly fighter-jock war-picture in existence. It's basically built out of low-impact yuri romance, glitter, and the odd-parts box left over from Last Exile. I *kind* of like it, but there are too many characters, I found it difficult to keep track of which little fighter-jock "girl" was which, and the show never really commits to its own politics. As a war show, it's unfocused and disappointing, as a romance it lacks resolution, and as sci-fi it's kind of frothy.

Pretty as all goddamn hell, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch H. View Post
      Pretty as all goddamn hell, though.
      This made the show for me, as well as the ending theme.

The action and battles, though prominent, are a secondary focus of the show. E.g. battle for half an episode then spend a few episodes pondering how they feel about war. It has a lot of feelings, some romantic most of which are unrequited, and virtually all yuri.
      The focus is on characters, so much so that even the leads are treated like secondary actors for stretches.

Comment

I really, really liked Simoun. The setting is fascinating, and so is its story that is highly emotional. Honestly the only thing I that I'm sort of ambivalent on about this show it the ending/final episode which I found a bit too convoluted. Still, I highly recommend it, Simoun is quite a ride.
        Avatar: Azaka KOKUTOU from The Garden of Sinners - Kara no Kyoukai

Comment

Widgets Magazine
        Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
        Widgets Magazine
        Working...
        X