Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bakemonogatari: I Recommend You Go Watch It On Crunchyroll

Widgets Magazine
    Bakemonogatari has started streaming on Crunchyroll. Episode 1 is up, with Episode 2 arriving tomorow, with Episode 3 in a week. The good news is that all the print seems to have been subbed. The bad news is that it's only in 480p, Aniplex has spelled "Senjougahara" as "Senjyogahara" and there are no honorifics. This is a truly unique anime experience, and is the first season to Nisemonogatari's 2nd season (the prequel anime film to all this, Kizumonogatari, looks to be coming out in 2013).

Based on the light novel series by Nisio Isin (NisiOisin), Bakemonogatari is a true anime treat, covering 15 episodes of Koyomi Araragi, a 3rd year high school student, and former vampire, who keeps encountering supernatural events, and the girls at the center of those mysteries. Bake is also coming out on Blu-Ray November 20, 2012.
    My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
    1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
    2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
    3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Re: Bakemonogatari: I Reccomend You Go Watch It On Crunchyroll

Having seen Nisemonogatari first, (yeah, I was confused) I watched the first episode and loved it enough that getting both is a no brainer. Now, I don't know if I'm going to continue watching the stream on Crunchyroll because of the 480p only. I may just wait and get the Blu-ray release in November and watch it on my big screen.
    Currently watching - A Certain Magical Index II
    Finished watching - High School DXD New
    Currently reading - Dragonar Academy, Haganai, Maria the Virgin Witch

Comment

Re: Bakemonogatari: I Reccomend You Go Watch It On Crunchyroll

I see it's also on Hulu, though I expect it's the same resolution.
      My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
      1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
      2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and

Comment

Re: Bakemonogatari: I Recommend You Go Watch It On Crunchyroll

I'm waiting for a couple more episodes to appear than I plan to start watching.

Comment

I didn't think I would enjoy this, but I think I'm definitely hooked. The wordplay humor is great.

Comment

I'm enjoying it so far, thanks for the recommendation. Some of the arty visuals reminded me if Hidamari Sketch (where they made more sense ) but the characters, stories and dialogue are all good.

Comment

Originally posted by Pimpalicious View Post
              I'm waiting for a couple more episodes to appear than I plan to start watching.
              Up to episode 7, Suruga Monkey, Part 2, on Crunchyroll.

Comment

> Up to episode 7, Suruga Monkey, Part 2, on Crunchyroll.

Without any spoilers, does part 2 finish that story? I've seen part 1 but if 2 doesn't finish it then I'll probably keep waiting and watch other things instead.

Edit: for anyone who hasn't started it yet, you can watch episodes 1-5 and see a finished story arc. It's #6 that leaves you waiting.
                Last edited by davesimmons; 10-28-2012, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by davesimmons View Post
                  > Up to episode 7, Suruga Monkey, Part 2, on Crunchyroll.

Without any spoilers, does part 2 finish that story? I've seen part 1 but if 2 doesn't finish it then I'll probably keep waiting and watch other things instead.
                  Suruga Monkey is a 3 parter, ends in episode 8. 9-10 form another two parter. 11-15 are technically one big arc, but 11 and 12 are essentially stand-alone episodes and 12 makes quite a nice ending.
                  So there's this thing called Twitter

Comment

I just watched through 5 the other night and enjoyed it.

Comment

With episode 10 up, we now have the following arcs in place:

1-2: Hitagi Crab

3-5: Mayoi Snail

6-8: Suruga Monkey

9-10: Nadeko Snake

Episodes 11-16 form the final arc, Tsubasa Cat, but, not quite. Episode 11 provides some needed background info, some connections with the other gals, and sets up some things for the coming episodes. Episode 12: At first it might seem like a pure stand alone episode, but it has an important impact on the final arc. It's an outstanding episode, probably my favorite of the series, but it's not directly related to episodes 13-15. Episodes 13-15 are the meat of this arc. Once it's done, you can see the connections with episode 11, and understand how episode 12 impacted some of Koyomi's decisions in the last episodes. But if you're waiting for an arc to be complete before watching, you can take episodes 11 & 12 as stand alones, or wait till all 5 are done for the complete arc.

Comment

^ Thanks! 1-8 were all quite good.

Speaking of supernatural series on CR, Natsume's Book of Friends was also very good if anyone is looking for a slice-of-(yokai)-life show.

Comment

Is Nisemonogatari OK to watch or should I wait until after I finish this one?
                          From the looks of it I think they're loosely connected but not sure.

Comment

You *could* get away with jumping straight to Nise (I know at least one person around here did that), but its better to watch Bakemonogatari first. It assumes you already know the characters and their issues. It will also spoil you on things from Bakemonogatari.
                            So there's this thing called Twitter

Comment

They are directly connected. Nise is essentially a second season to Bake. If you've watched the first 10 episodes of Bake, you won't miss as much as if you were going into Nise cold-turkey, but there are details which would be missed and less appreciated by seeing the upcoming episodes.

For instance, in the first episode of Nise, Koyomi runs into Mayoi. If you hadn't seen Bake, you would not be likely to realize:

Spoiler ->That Mayoi is a ghost.

That said, Nise makes references, though not many, to events that happened off-screen from Bake, and will take place in Kizumonogatari, a prequel light novel which is in production as a movie that tells the story of how Koyomi became a vampire. A quick montage of the events in that story were shown at the very start of the Bakemonogatari series. Heh, even Koyomi getting an unexpected view of Hanekawa's panties that starts episode 1 is from Kizu.

I'd recommend waiting.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X